ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Walking with a 2.5yo after dark (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1008)

Penny Gaines November 6th 03 06:23 PM

Walking with a 2.5yo after dark

Ignoramus909 wrote in :

By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Go somewhere dark, and look at stars (may not be safe where you are).
Over the weeks, look at the moon and see how it changes.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

lynn November 6th 03 06:59 PM

Walking with a 2.5yo after dark

In article ,
Ignoramus909 wrote:

By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Give him a flashlight. I've been trying to get more exercise, so I take
my 2.5yo DS for "walks in the dark." I push him in the stroller for a
couple of miles up and down the street. He holds onto his flashlight,
and I wear a reflective vest. He has no interest in walking, he mostly
hums into the flashlight or shines it around on the street and the
trees, and turns around and says "boo!" to me sometimes.

I think just watching the lights of the traffic going by is interesting
enough for him.

- Lynn

user November 6th 03 07:34 PM

Walking with a 2.5yo after dark

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:59:32 GMT, lynn wrote:
In article ,
Ignoramus909 wrote:

[...]

And to add to that - I have a $10.00 astronomer's flashlight that I
use with my almost 3 year old. It uses white and red LED's. So
not only does DS get to choose which color he can use, but the
flashlight is indestructable - I can't count the number of
flashlights with incandescent bulbs that he's broken when he
drops them, or bangs them on the ground while looking at something....

Marty Billingsley November 6th 03 08:13 PM

Ignoramus909 wrote:

[...]

Several companies make flashlights for kids that let the kid choose
from different colors (typically red, green, white). They're pretty
sturdy. The Crayola flashlight I bought at Zany Brainy turns off
automatically after a while to save on batteries. Playskool also makes
one that's available through Amazon.

- marty
(mom to andie & alex, 2.75)

user November 6th 03 08:25 PM

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 18:23:57 +0000, Penny Gaines wrote:
Ignoramus909 wrote in :

By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Go somewhere dark, and look at stars (may not be safe where you are).
Over the weeks, look at the moon and see how it changes.

And watch the eclipse this weekend!

HollyLewis November 6th 03 08:38 PM

Walking with a 2.5yo after dark

By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him.

My DS loves to look at the moon and the stars. (He can identify Mars and the
Big Dipper already.) Cars going by are cool too. He's never displayed too
much interest in "city lights" type views, but there's really nothing
uninteresting for a 2yo about about seeing his familiar neighborhood in the
unfamiliar dark, so I suspect you needn't worry about going elsewhere. Of
course, DS would never turn down a trip to watch trains, either, so I'm not
saying there's anything wrong with that -- it just isn't necessary to get that
elaborate every day.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

user November 6th 03 08:54 PM

Ignoramus909 wrote in :

By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Go somewhere dark, and look at stars (may not be safe where you are).
Over the weeks, look at the moon and see how it changes.

And watch the eclipse this weekend!

what eclipse?

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing...cle_1072_1.asp

Nikki November 6th 03 09:31 PM

Ignoramus909 wrote:
By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Small flashlights and glow sticks are a big hit around here. Good luck
getting him to walk himself :-) My 2.5yo is all about the wagon!
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

gale November 6th 03 10:53 PM

"Ignoramus909" wrote in message
By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

walking and talking and singing songs together [old mcdonald had a
farm.....]
walking and talking about what you are seeing as you pass houses and such.

and, the best walking in the dark time is but a month away: walking and
ooohhhhing and aaaahahhhhing at the Christmas lights.

-A-
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Clisby November 7th 03 05:17 PM

Ignoramus909 wrote:
By the time I get home, it is already dark. I am looking for some
creative ideas as to how I can make walking with him interesting to
him. Two things come to mind. One is going to the train station to
watch trains. Another is to go to the downtown of a neighboring city
to watch lights and visit cafes. One cafe specifically is cool as
there is a live teenage band playing there.

Any other ideas?

Any bats where you live?

I'm serious. Once my husband took our 3-year-old daughter for an
after-dark walk, while I was working. All of a sudden, I realized,
it's 9 p.m. and they're not back. WHERE ARE THEY?

I went outside, only to find them lying on the sidewalk in front of the
house. When I asked what the heck they were doing, they said in
unison, "Watching the bats!" Sure enough, the bats that roost in the
trees in our neighborhood were swooping around like little tiny hawks,
no doubt feasting on mosquitoes (not feasting *enough* to make a summer
in Atlanta bearable, mind you).

Clisby