ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=47876)

Shawn January 11th 07 02:05 AM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

Is it safe to drink homemade fruit juices during pregnancy? I have read
that unpasteurized juices are unsafe. It is recommended that one eat
fruits everyday, however, one cannot drink freshly squeezed juice ! I
am confused!!

Anne Rogers January 11th 07 02:14 AM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

Is it safe to drink homemade fruit juices during pregnancy? I have read
that unpasteurized juices are unsafe. It is recommended that one eat
fruits everyday, however, one cannot drink freshly squeezed juice ! I
am confused!!

I've not heard that unpasturised juice is unsafe, I'm not sure it's even
pasturised anyway, they concentrate it and rehydrate for the longer life
stuff, I don't know if if gets to a temperature equivalent to
pasteurisation. Buying fresh juice that is then transported is quite
different to making it fresh at home with fresh fruit and there really would
be no problem with that. I'm no expert on juice bars, but I can't see why
there would be a problem there either. To be honest even poor handling of
fresh fruit juice isn't going to be a big problem I think it goes mouldy and
you just wouldn't want to drink it, I've never heard of a case of listeria
reported from it.
Anne

Ericka Kammerer January 11th 07 04:55 AM

Anne Rogers wrote:
Is it safe to drink homemade fruit juices during pregnancy? I have read
that unpasteurized juices are unsafe. It is recommended that one eat
fruits everyday, however, one cannot drink freshly squeezed juice ! I
am confused!!

I've not heard that unpasturised juice is unsafe,

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/201_safe.html

I'm not sure it's even pasturised anyway,

Almost all juice in the US is pasteurized.

However, what you juice fresh is fine. It's the
processing and storage of packaged juice that can cause
problems. As long as your juicer isn't contaminated,
freshly squeezed juice should be fine.

Best wishes,
Ericka

alath January 11th 07 05:19 AM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

Like the others, I don't believe it would be unsafe.

My question, however, is why juice at all? Why not just eat the actual
fruit? The fiber of whole fruits especially would be helpful in
ameliorating a common complaint of pregnant women.

Anne Rogers January 11th 07 06:25 AM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

My question, however, is why juice at all? Why not just eat the actual
fruit? The fiber of whole fruits especially would be helpful in
ameliorating a common complaint of pregnant women.

This would be my answer, not that you were asking me, which is that I don't
find it easy to eat fruit, in the normal course of things I don't both with
juice, but I probably should, it's supposed to be ok to count it as one
portion a day and if I was drinking juice, fresh get's more of the fibre and
other goodness into it.

Cheers

Anne

Anne Rogers January 11th 07 06:33 AM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

I've not heard that unpasturised juice is unsafe,

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/201_safe.html

2001! I'm surprised I hadn't come across that one before, but it's
reassuring that the reported bugs don't appear to include listeria, not that
it's good to get the others, but that's the one you really want to avoid!

Almost all juice in the US is pasteurized.

I'm not sure the same is true in the UK, I'm presuming stuff that is
marketed as freshly squeezed is not? or is it, after all, fresh milk is
pasteurised, the labelling difference in the UK is "made from concentrate",
or "freshly squeezed" and "not made from concentrate", to indicate it's not
the same as the stuff you can get non refrigerated that lasts for ages. It's
funny how different things become problems in different places, in part due
to peripheral issues surrounding preparation, and with things like fish,
where they were caught.

Anne

Shawn January 11th 07 08:46 PM

Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

To everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies. I think it helps. I like fruits,
but sometimes as a substitute to a regular drink or outside juice, I
prefer homemade freshly squeezed juices. So this question. Seems, it is
ok to drink fresh juice at home.

-Shawna