ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dallas Teachers' Woes (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=66132)

The Ranger[_4_] August 5th 09 12:46 AM

Dallas Teachers' Woes

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....a183296b.html

I'm always amazed at stories detailing how "teachers are caught cheating" to
improve test scores. I don't understand it given the number that are against
testing to excess and then basing funding on the results.

This goes beyond the pale, though. This is appropriately biting the parents'
hands which might actually get changes made to a bad system.

The Ranger

toto August 6th 09 04:18 AM

Dallas Teachers' Woes

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:46:55 -0700, "The Ranger" cuhulain _
wrote:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw....a183296b.html

I'm always amazed at stories detailing how "teachers are caught cheating" to
improve test scores. I don't understand it given the number that are against
testing to excess and then basing funding on the results.

This goes beyond the pale, though. This is appropriately biting the parents'
hands which might actually get changes made to a bad system.

The Ranger

It's really crazy. There have been plenty of scandals in the Chicago
area relative to this kind of thing as well. Interesting study of
what happens when high stakes testing is used to grade schools:

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/capidea.../cheating.html

Here's a Time Magazine article on NYC schools and teacher cheating too
from 1999

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...992885,00.html

--
Dorothy