ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wisdom tooth extraction during pregnancy? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=64927)

lu-lu August 18th 08 05:51 PM

Wisdom tooth extraction during pregnancy?

Hi all

Google's giving me a 50/50 result on this question, and I never came across
the prob when I was doing my dental nurse training. I was wondering if any
of you have ever had a wisdom tooth removed during pregnancy?

I'm almost 25 weeks gone. My upper right wisdom tooth is impacted. I can't
open my jaw, my face is swollen, and I'm living on co-codamols (8/500, so
just a low dose) as I can barely think for the pain. I've hardly eaten since
Friday. I got a dentist appt for today, and she said there was nothing she
could do as I'm pregnant. She gave me amoxicillin to help reduce the
inflammation, and told me to come back after the baby's born for an
extraction referral.

I had a lower impacted wisdom tooth removed about 6 years ago, under IV
sedation. I understand that IV sedation wouldn't be good while pg, but is
there any other way they could do it? I can't remember any of my training, I
can't do any thing.

Thanks

Lucy x

MarieD[_2_] August 18th 08 07:02 PM

"lu-lu" wrote in message
I had a lower impacted wisdom tooth removed about 6 years ago, under IV
sedation. I understand that IV sedation wouldn't be good while pg, but is
there any other way they could do it? I can't remember any of my training,
can't do any thing.

You may have to just weigh the risks on this one.
I have had "oral surgery" where I had my gum cut to remove a tooth, and I
was not asleep. They numbed my gum. It was not painful to go through.
My SIL was put to sleep during her pregnancy, and there were no
complications from that.
Good luck, I have alot of dental problems and I just hate my teeth.
Marie

lu-lu August 18th 08 07:17 PM

"MarieD" wrote in message
"lu-lu" wrote in message
I had a lower impacted wisdom tooth removed about 6 years ago, under IV
sedation. I understand that IV sedation wouldn't be good while pg, but

is
there any other way they could do it? I can't remember any of my

training,
can't do any thing.

You may have to just weigh the risks on this one.
I have had "oral surgery" where I had my gum cut to remove a tooth, and I
was not asleep. They numbed my gum. It was not painful to go through.
My SIL was put to sleep during her pregnancy, and there were no
complications from that.
Good luck, I have alot of dental problems and I just hate my teeth.
Marie

Thanks Marie... I've been looking into it more, and I don't understand her
decision. Dental xrays and local anaesthetic are safe in pregnancy, and the
BBC website says Cardiff Dental School are recommending people have local
over GA....

Lucy x