ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   pregnancy and colds (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26242)

Zoe Brown January 10th 05 10:33 AM

pregnancy and colds

All

I am 30 weeks today - hooray !

But I have a really bad cold. This is day three of the cold, basically sore
throat, chesty cough, blocked nose, feeling cold, headache ect. It is made
worse as I get cramps when I cough and shortness of breath when I try and
lay down.

I have not been to see my GP and have just been taking paracetamol.

Any advise ?

Zoe

A&G&K&H January 10th 05 11:54 AM

"Zoe Brown" wrote in message
All

I am 30 weeks today - hooray !

But I have a really bad cold. This is day three of the cold, basically

sore
throat, chesty cough, blocked nose, feeling cold, headache ect. It is

made
worse as I get cramps when I cough and shortness of breath when I try and
lay down.

I have not been to see my GP and have just been taking paracetamol.

Any advise ?

Zoe

Ughhh - I remember having a bad cold around 25 weeks when pg with DD.
I found saline nasal spray helped a lot with nasal congestion as did using a
steam vaporiser. I also used Vicks vaporub on my throat as I find this
really helps a sore throat.
....and try to drink lots of water ... I find filling a pitcher with ice
water and keeping it nearby helps as I tend to sip a lot more water when its
so handy to get a drink.
Rest if you can.
I usually don't take much paracetamol, but that's not to say you shouldn't
use it in accordance with the directions. It should certainly help you feel
a little better.

or...... you could take the advice given to me by my Ob when I asked him
what I should do at the time.
His advice? "Go to bed for a week and eat as much chocolate as you want".
Me: "OK - I can understand getting a lot of rest, but why the chocolate?"
Ob:"Well, nothing else is going to make you feel any better!"

feel better soon
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Zoe Brown January 10th 05 12:03 PM

Ughhh - I remember having a bad cold around 25 weeks when pg with DD.
I found saline nasal spray helped a lot with nasal congestion as did using
steam vaporiser. I also used Vicks vaporub on my throat as I find this
really helps a sore throat.
...and try to drink lots of water ... I find filling a pitcher with ice
water and keeping it nearby helps as I tend to sip a lot more water when
its
so handy to get a drink.
Rest if you can.
I usually don't take much paracetamol,

No me either, I would take some cough medicine but I am not sure if it is
safe and I *know* that paracetamol is OK. I need to get better so that I
can return to work !!

but that's not to say you shouldn't
use it in accordance with the directions. It should certainly help you
feel
a little better.

or...... you could take the advice given to me by my Ob when I asked him
what I should do at the time.
His advice? "Go to bed for a week and eat as much chocolate as you want".
Me: "OK - I can understand getting a lot of rest, but why the chocolate?"
Ob:"Well, nothing else is going to make you feel any better!"

I think I might try the chocolate ;)

A&G&K&H January 10th 05 12:11 PM

"Zoe Brown" wrote in message

Ughhh - I remember having a bad cold around 25 weeks when pg with DD.
I found saline nasal spray helped a lot with nasal congestion as did

using
steam vaporiser. I also used Vicks vaporub on my throat as I find this
really helps a sore throat.
...and try to drink lots of water ... I find filling a pitcher with ice
water and keeping it nearby helps as I tend to sip a lot more water when
its
so handy to get a drink.
Rest if you can.
I usually don't take much paracetamol,

No me either, I would take some cough medicine but I am not sure if it is
safe and I *know* that paracetamol is OK. I need to get better so that I
can return to work !!

I think there are some otc cold meds that you can take at certain stages of
a pg but can't remember much more than that. Somebody else (Ericka?) might
know if there is anything you can take.

The other thing that I forgot to mention that helps me is a chiropractic
treatment ... I find that having my neck adjusted relieves the congestion in
my head temporarily and manipulation of a few acupressure points helps me
recover more quickly.
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Kelly January 11th 05 01:15 AM

I'd check with your doctor to rule out strep throat or maybe bronchitis.
For a cold, I take sudafed (the plain pseudophedrine) and tylenol. And, I
drink echinacea tea and lots of fluids.

I am so sorry you are sick! Blech. I had strep throat a few weeks ago and
am so glad to be well. Hang in there and rest up.

Warmly,
Kelly