ParentingBanter.com

-   Child Support (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What makes her the mother? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=51490)

Chris May 29th 07 05:28 AM

What makes her the mother?

According to the government people, what qualifies a woman as THE mother;
the fact that she gave physical birth to the child or that the child has her
DNA? Just trying to understand their position in regard to surrogate
mothers.

John Meyer[_2_] May 29th 07 03:08 PM

What makes her the mother?

wrote:
On May 28, 11:28?pm, "Chris" wrote:
According to the government people, what qualifies a woman as THE mother;
the fact that she gave physical birth to the child or that the child has her
DNA? Just trying to understand their position in regard to surrogate
mothers.

Either / or

In this case and a couple of others, I'm sort of reminded of what some
advocates of gay marriage (I concept I fully support; I believe in the
inherent right of all people to be stuck in dysfunctional, nihilistic
relationships regardless of gender) said when saying that gay marriage
was different from polygamy. The argument was that gay marriage really
wouldn't change anything, just the names on the marriage license.
Polygamy, on the other hand, would dramatically change it because you
would have multiple individuals involved.
Given this, and given the cases in Philadelphia, I think we can safely
say that's so much horse poo.