ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   C-Sec and steps....and driving?? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7966)

Christine May 27th 04 07:49 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

My question is this:
I was told by my Dr. NOT to do steps more than once or twice a day and
when I do, take baby steps ( one step at a time ).....well it turns out
that I felt fine...( I was discharged last wed ) so its just been a
week....I have NO pain at all, and taking NO pain meds....I consider
myself very lucky!!!!!!!!
but how many of you did steps anyhow??
if you feel good can it hurt anything?

I know of other ppl who felt good and were out driving...shopping,,,etc.
I'm not going out anywhere but I am guitly about going up and down
steps.....and its 2 levels of steps..;(
I have a bathroom on both floors so I dont really NEED to go up and
down, but it gets so boring in the bedroom all day, and i always need
something on the other floor....

so can just steps hurt me?

another ?

Driving, Dr. said NO driving for 4 weeks AND NO riding either for 4
weeks.....now I had a nurse in the hospital tell me that i CAN ride in
the car,,,but NO driving.....the dr. said its because If we would wreck
OR if he would have to slam on the brakes, that would NOT be good for my
insides....

does anyone ride in the car?
although I really have no desire to go in the car, i was just
wondering....

its rough when you feel fine and cant do anything....

I know what happened to Nan, and I'm really tryng to limit my steps
today and tomorrow, and for a few more weeks......

any input?
tia...;)

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...LID=9T8S0V9F5G

Donna Metler May 27th 04 08:09 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

"Christine" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I couldn't drive for about 4 weeks, but I was allowed to ride in the
car if needed when I was released a little over a week after my
C-section-and since I was still going in weekly for BP monitoring and
medication adjustments, that was necessary.

In general, I found that, just like after my appendectomy, my body told me
what I was ready for and what I wasn't. By far, the most painful thing
afterwards was my cat jumping onto my stomach the day after I came home from
the hospital. I think I about sent the poor thing into orbit!

http://www.growingfamily.com/webnurs...LID=9T8S0V9F5G

Shena Delian O'Brien May 27th 04 08:35 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

Well I would not recommend doing what I did, but I just listened to my
body and took it as it came.

I of course had to ride HOME from the hospital, duh! (hour ride) So YES,
I was a passenger.

I had postpartum care appointments as did the baby, and my husband was
working full time. I could have gotten rides but I did not, I drove
myself and my baby and carried him around in his baby carrier starting 4
days postpartum. I did feel taxed while doing so, weakened and
definitely sore, but it was not bad. I actually did not know until about
4 weeks postpartum that I wasn't supposed to be driving. Someone told me
that and I boggled - driving is a cinch and fairly relaxing for me.

After a week or so I was at the grocery store doing a shopping trip.
Another week later I went on a shopping trip with DH that was longer
than I was comfortable with (sore and tired) but it didn't injure me any.

I had no trouble walking down steps at all, did that the first day I was
out. I had to walk up 10 steps to get into my apartment, so every time I
went out I did walk upstairs again when I got home.

I'll remind you that I had no complications with my pregnancy or the
incision, it healed cleanly and quickly with a small scar.

Donna May 27th 04 09:08 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

"Christine" wrote in message

snipping the part about steps, because I don't know anything about that.
We live in a ranch - the issue never came up :)

Driving, Dr. said NO driving for 4 weeks AND NO riding either for 4
weeks.....now I had a nurse in the hospital tell me that i CAN ride in
the car,,,but NO driving.....the dr. said its because If we would wreck
OR if he would have to slam on the brakes, that would NOT be good for my
insides....

does anyone ride in the car?
although I really have no desire to go in the car, i was just
wondering....

My OB (and my husband, who is a trauma surgeon) both recommend not driving
for 3 weeks post C-section. They both feel that after abdominal surgery,
the consequences of an accident can be so severe, that it's better not to be
driving at all for that period of time. Neither one has ever said that
*riding* in a car was at all risky. I have been under the impression that
the major risk factor in even a minor accident (following abdominal surgery)
is impact with the steering wheel.

Is it possible that you misheard your OB about being a passenger?

Donna

Nan May 27th 04 09:47 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

On Thu, 27 May 2004 14:49:27 -0400, (Christine)
wrote:

I know what happened to Nan, and I'm really tryng to limit my steps
today and tomorrow, and for a few more weeks......

any input?
tia...;)

Well, I'll try to be a little reassuring here.... my accident didn't
occur due to physical activity on my part, so while I'd say be a
teensy bit cautious, don't be overly worried!
Pay attention to the signals your body sends you, and keep your
activity level to whatever is comfortable for you.

Nan

Jacqui May 27th 04 10:07 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

Donna wibbled

My OB (and my husband, who is a trauma surgeon) both recommend not
driving for 3 weeks post C-section. They both feel that after
abdominal surgery, the consequences of an accident can be so
severe, that it's better not to be driving at all for that period
of time. Neither one has ever said that *riding* in a car was at
all risky. I have been under the impression that the major risk
factor in even a minor accident (following abdominal surgery) is
impact with the steering wheel.

I would imagine that wearing a lap belt is out, though, since a
crash with a lap belt can have nasty results in the midriff area
anyway, and if you did have a crash with a low-slung shoulder belt
it could hurt a heck of a lot - I felt like I bruised very easily
for a while after mine, if the baby kicked my stomach while nursing
for instance. Because the nerves are cut and you can't feel much
around the incision until they start to reconnect, you could in
theory do some damage that you wouldn't notice for some time, I
suppose. Certainly my wound infection didn't hurt at all, and it
certainly should have given the swelling and whatnot. But I went
home from hospital in the car and no one mentioned anything then,
just that I shouldn't drive myself.

Jac

Jennifer and Robert Howe May 27th 04 10:28 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

heck I was in the hospital for 3 days the doc told me no driving or steps
for 2 weeks. I didn't listen and started driving after a week and doing
steps a few days after I came home. You need to listen to your own body and
it will tell you if you need to rest or stop those activities. Plus if you
don't drive for 4 weeks how are you going to get the baby to the 2 week
checkup?

Jennifer
Ariana 8/17/03
Home.earthlink.net/~soalus

Jacqui May 27th 04 10:39 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

Jennifer and Robert Howe wibbled

Plus if you don't drive for 4 weeks how
are you going to get the baby to the 2 week checkup?

Uh, get someone else to take you (DH, friend, taxi driver) or go by bus
if that's practical? Like a mother who doesn't drive at all does? It's
not a risk I'd consider worth taking, having overdone things (steps,
lifting things) myself, winding up with a wound infection that took
eleven weeks to clear.

Jac

Daye May 27th 04 11:01 PM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

wrote:

Driving, Dr. said NO driving for 4 weeks AND NO riding either for 4
weeks.....now I had a nurse in the hospital tell me that i CAN ride in
the car,,,but NO driving.....the dr. said its because If we would wreck
OR if he would have to slam on the brakes, that would NOT be good for my
insides....

I was told not to drive, but that is standard for any major operation.
I didn't drive because my DH was around all the time and could take me
wherever I needed to go.

Of course, I rode in the car. How else would you get home? If I was
having a particularly painful day, I wouldn't go anywhere because...
well, I would rather be lying down. No one said anything to me with
either of my c/s's about not riding in a car.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold

Donna May 28th 04 12:51 AM

C-Sec and steps....and driving??

"Jacqui" wrote in message
. 7...
Donna wibbled

[...]

That's what is so curious. What you observe above certainly makes sense,
but I do wonder why riding as a passenger isn't given as a routine risk?
It;s curious.

Donna