ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Teaching kids the difference between needs and wants (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=66369)

David[_7_] October 11th 09 10:35 PM

Teaching kids the difference between needs and wants

In article
emailer.net,
wrote:

With the Christmas season upon us again, my stepdaughter was launching
into her usual tirade of "I need this" (Nintendo 64 games, Pokemon,
videos, Rhianna CD, etc.) After enduring a trip through Kmart, I
was at my wits end. I took the kid home and filled the bathtub with
water. Then I dunked the brat's head under the water and counted out a
full minute, with her flailing her arms. I brought her up and she
gasped for air. When she'd caught her breath, I asked her, "When you
were under that water, did you 'need' Nintendo? Pokemon? Rhianna?"
She shook her head. "What were you thinking about?" I
prodded. She told me "I was thinking that I needed air."

"Now you know the difference between 'need' and 'want'" I exclaimed
triumphantly.

--a true story

Great. Now she KNOWS she NEEDS a decent stepfather, not just wants one

David - who wonders where dickheads like this get their ideas