ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=913)

Vicki October 25th 03 04:41 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Today we received a warning letter for truancy for our 2nd grader. The
principal said she was concerned about dd's absences. I am not concerned
about dd's absences--she is bright, she knows the material [she's missed
five days this month, but received 100 on her test for materials covered.]
I don't think the teacher is concerned. But the principal said dd is only
allowed 5 excused absences per semester.

I'm not happy about the possibility of legal sanctions for keeping dd home
(she was sick this month, but I wouldn't hesitate to take her out of school
for other things we feel are important.) Can they prosecute us for truancy
when dd is top of her class? I don't see the harm to anyone in dd not
going. And she *will* miss more school at Thanksgiving (important family
time.)

We had planned to talk at school conferences about keeping dd home one day
per week, or bi-weekly, to enhance her education. But from what I've read
about truancy laws tonight, this doesn't seem to be allowable. Has anyone
done this or know if it is doable?

dd does not want to homeschool full-time--she likes seeing her friends at
school and we think this is good for her. We have discussed getting
appropriate challenge in her classroom--the teacher has been helpful, but
there is only so much she can do. We chose not to skip dd to the next grade
as she is already the youngest in her class.

Have others faced this truancy problem? How do you approach it? If this is
a law (5 days/semester,) does the principal have much leeway in enforcing
it? If not, then who do we talk with? The DA? Is it possible to
homeschool part-time (the days dd misses) and avoid a truancy enforcement?
Could we test out of second grade and attendance be optional?

dh is calling the principal next week, and we will meet with dd's teacher in
three weeks. I'd like to have a sense of our options before we go so we do
what's right by dd and cause the least distress to her teacher and principal
(who are quite nice.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Vicki

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 05:15 AM

:
[...]

If your child is missing school because she's sick, then she is *not*
truant. The school cannot punish/penalized you or her for missing due to
illness. They may require that you provide a doctor's note (which is a real
PITA since it means you have to take her to the doctor if she's sick), but
that's as far as they can go. If her absences are "unexcused"--IOW not due
to illness, a funeral, etc.--then they *can* penalize you. In fact in my
area the courts can actually fine the parents $2500 per day for each
unexcused absence. This only occurs in extreme circumstances where the
parents obviously just don't give a s**t about their child's education.
Your statement about "taking her out of school for things you feel are
important" is getting pretty close to the line. I wouldn't want to stand in
front of a judge and try to explain that one.

As for keeping her at home 1 day a week for "home schooling," IMO that's a
big mistake, and they could definitely come after you for truancy for that.
If you want to home school, then do it, but don't do it half way. If she
misses 20% of the school days, then she'll miss 20% of the material that her
teacher expects her to learn--or you will unreasonably expect her teacher to
spend additional time every week helping your daughter get caught up on
material she missed. If you don't want to do full-on home schooling, then
do it on Saturdays instead of on a regular school day.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

GI Trekker October 25th 03 05:40 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

I highly recommend homeschooling and finding other ways for your child to see
her friends -- after school, weekends. This "truancy" argument sounds more than
a bit like a threat. One thing to always remember in matters like this -- this
is YOUR child. NOT the school's and NOT the state's.

My mother faced a similar situation one time with me in the third grade, not
with regard to truancy, but with regard to an absolute horrible teacher who
distinctly despised me. The feeling was mutual. She also had a soft spot for
the biggest bully in the school. The overall situation got so out of hand that
the school board and my mother had a discussion. Of course they tried to
intimidate her, and gave preference to the teacher's statements over mine. But
my mother was not the type to be readily intimidated, and the school board
eventually had to back down and had to persuade the teacher to back off in her
treatment of me.

Bottom line on truancy -- what the schools are most concerned about is that
every student who doesn't show up is ultimately money lost in their school
budget. That's why they may try to intimidate you in these forthcoming
meetings. Do not let them, and please give serious consideration to full-time
homeschooling. It sounds like it would be the best optional educationally.

Vicki October 25th 03 06:57 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote

[...]

I read a child is limited to 10 absences excused by the parent per
year--guess this is where the 5/semester comes from. I can't get a doctor's
excuse for the flu dd had 2 weeks ago--we didn't go to the doctor. I did
call and talk with a nurse at the hospital, but I couldn't say her name. In
any case, dd will miss again around Thanksgiving due to something important
to us. That will put me over the five, even if dd stays healthy until then.
If they're not REALLY going to fine me (b/c we do care about her education,)
then who do I talk with beforehand so I don't have to have fines hanging
over my head?

As for keeping her at home 1 day a week for "home schooling," IMO that's a
big mistake, and they could definitely come after you for truancy for

that.
If you want to home school, then do it, but don't do it half way. If she
misses 20% of the school days, then she'll miss 20% of the material that

her
teacher expects her to learn--or you will unreasonably expect her teacher

spend additional time every week helping your daughter get caught up on
material she missed. If you don't want to do full-on home schooling, then
do it on Saturdays instead of on a regular school day.

I think you're right about the problem with truancy and part-time
home-schooling. I'm not sure how we avoid that. As an aside, I'm not
worried about dd missing what is taught--she knows it. Nor do I expect her
teacher to spend additional time to get dd caught up--dd is ahead. 2nd
grade curriculum seems pretty limited if you're already a good reader and
good with numbers. Our idea was to give dd a day of more challenging
materials. It is hard to fit them into the weekends and evenings (piano,
scouts, time with dad and siblings, etc.) dd reads constantly, but I'd
hoped to use the day for more hands on learning--science projects, trips to
museum, etc. She's expressed interest in this (as opposed to full-time
homeschooling, which she's rejected,) but maybe this won't be allowed.

Thank you.
Vicki

Vicki October 25th 03 07:29 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"GI Trekker" wrote
[...]

Luckily dd's teacher is very nice. The principal seems good. We're friends
with people on the school board. We are supportive of the school and have
had a good relationship in the past. dh volunteered in the classroom last
year. We initiated and donated money to start a community fund to finance
special projects or trips that teachers might want to do... I'm not saying
that the letter from the principal *isn't* about money... it just seems
misguided if that's what its about. It surprised us, got our attention...
but not in a good way. I'm angered by the letter. Maybe she is required to
send the letter and has no over-ride authority. I don't see this as an
issue the school board would have authority over... I don't know who we're
supposed to talk with, and what options are legal. dd will be truant by
their definition. Then what? I don't know.

dd rejected ft home school, and that's ok w/us right now. Maybe we'll
change our tune if we can't resolve this.
Thank you.
Vicki

cara October 25th 03 07:50 AM

Vicki wrote:

Today we received a warning letter for truancy for our 2nd grader. The
principal said she was concerned about dd's absences. I am not concerned
about dd's absences--she is bright, she knows the material [she's missed
five days this month, but received 100 on her test for materials covered.]
I don't think the teacher is concerned. But the principal said dd is only
allowed 5 excused absences per semester.

I have no experience with this at all, but the implication of 'truancy' to me
means 'absences without parental knowledge or consent.' I guess I don't
understand why you can't keep your child home or out for family gatherings, or
illness (even without doctors note! the vast majority of childhood illnesses
absolutely do not require a visit to the doctor) if YOU are the one authorizing
it. I suppose I would take your particular case to the principal/teacher and
stipulate that as long as your daughter maintains a high standing in her class
and requires minimal 'extra' effort to keep her caught up (ie: you as parents
are willing spend extra time to help catch her up in school work due to missed
days) than you as responsible parents shouldn't worry so much about the hard and
fast rule of 5 absences/semester, as long as it is within reason (a few day here
or there, not going off to tahiti for a few weeks :). Maybe once they realize
your direct involvement in this, they won't be so anal about it.

Man, reading a lot of these school issues - even/especially in the early grades
- makes me nervous about my dd heading into the school system. Wow, times have
changed, and I'm not sure its for the better :).

cara

dragonlady October 25th 03 07:58 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

In article ,
"Vicki" wrote:

"GI Trekker" wrote
[...]

Don't get too caught up being upset about the letter itself: in many
districts, they are pretty automatic. If your child misses a certain
number of days, the system automatically kicks out a letter to send to
you, and the letters all say the same thing. Depending upon the size of
the school, the principal may even have someone else signing the letters
the computer kicks out. Lord knows, I've seen enough of them -- both
for a child who was desperately ill and missed an enormous amount of
school, and for a child who had truancy issues.

If you've been calling the school to tell them of her absences, and that
she's been sick, they are not truancies, but they should be excused
absences. If you have NOT been calling the school to tell them why
she's not at school, they are, technically, truancies, and there could
be some nasty actions regarding this. If you call the school to tell
them you are taking her out for something that YOU think is important
but they do not excuse it, it is a truancy.

It would not surprise me to find out that after five truancies in one
semester they would take action; it would surprise me to find out that
they would disallow any more than five excused absenses. However, the
only way to know what is and is not the law vs. optional is to talk to a
local lawyer -- one who knows both the state law wherever you are, and
any local school board rulings. A newsgroup, with people from all over
the world, can't tell you those things. If you are very concerned, I'd
make an appointment with a lawyer who specializes in these things.

meh

dragonlady October 25th 03 08:09 AM

cara wrote:

Vicki wrote:

[...]

This will vary from school to school, and from state to state, both in
how much leeway the teacher or principal has and in how willing they are
(if they DO have the leeway) to excuse absences. Some will accept
absolutely NO excuse but illness or family funeral, others will
negotiate for excused absences for family vacations or other reasons.

And, with funding being handled the way it is now, I sort of understand
their position when they do NOT excuse absences for anything but the
really necessary ones. Around here, at least, they only get money from
the state according to the number of bodies actually in school each day
-- but it actually takes MORE teacher time and energy (and sometimes
other staff as well) to give make up tests, arrange for additional
outside of class work to make up for what they miss in class, and all of
that stuff.

Man, reading a lot of these school issues - even/especially in the early
grades
- makes me nervous about my dd heading into the school system. Wow, times
have
changed, and I'm not sure its for the better :).

With change always comes loss -- and gain. What's the old song? --
"something's lost and something's gained by living every day."

meh

Donna Metler October 25th 03 01:37 PM

"Vicki" wrote in message
[...]

If you have provided medical documentation, this can be exceeded. One major
illness can easily go over 5 days. It is only when there's a lot of little,
one and two day absenses, that this becomes a problem. Essentially, if an
absense is over 3 days long at a time, and there is medical documentation,
you are homeschooling for that time, and if it's over 5 days at a time, the
school can provide a homebound tutor for a few hours a week. I have a little
girl right now who just had open heart surgery, and will be out of school
for quite some time. If she has had frequent illnesses of a few days, you
still should get some sort of medical documentation for these to avoid legal
problems.

The reason this comes into play is that there are a great many parents who
will write excuse notes when their child isn't actually sick. In one case,
we have a 6th grade boy who ends up spending a lot of nights in the casino
arcades in Tunica, while his mother gambles. Then, the next morning, when
they finally wake up halfway into the day, she writes an excuse note,
claming that he had a stomachache or a headache, and brings him to school.
Let's face it-unless a child is pregnant, and this boy isn't, he's probably
not going to be waking up sick every morning! Talking to the child has been
very informative.

If she's already had extensive illnesses, it is unlikely the school district
will look kindly on her missing time over Thanksgiving. I am spending almost
$300 more on airfare for my husband and I over Thanksgiving precisely
because of the school schedule. If a teacher misses the day before a
holiday, we are charged double for it. In general, unless the child (or
adult) has been ill for an extended period of time prior to the holiday,
absenses right before a holiday are considered suspicious.

Donna Metler October 25th 03 01:39 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Vicki" wrote in message
"GI Trekker" wrote
[...]

She is almost certainly required by law to send it. I would strongly suggest
getting documentation from your doctor, if possible, on past absenses, and
certainly getting documentation for ANY further medical absense.

Your state education code should be online, and will give truancy statutes.

Gale October 25th 03 02:16 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
..
She is almost certainly required by law to send it. I would strongly

suggest
getting documentation from your doctor, if possible, on past absenses, and
certainly getting documentation for ANY further medical absense.

Your state education code should be online, and will give truancy

statutes.

I second that motion. School Districts vary considerably in both rules and
how they are applied. For example, this school district I live in allows
only ten excused absences a year or you are retained. It is extreemly
difficult to obtain an exception, even for participation in national level
amateur sports teams [issue last school year], serious illnesses lasting
longer than 10 days, etc. A lot of parents in this area are hopping mad
about it. Same State, next school District away, not an issue at all, they
are much more understanding of why a child may be out for an excused reason.
So, look into your State and school district's rules and applications
thereof very closely and know that while we can give you anecdotal evidence,
it all comes down to your school district and how you interact with it.

Good luck!

-A, in Florida
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123

Ericka Kammerer October 25th 03 03:39 PM

Vicki wrote:

Today we received a warning letter for truancy for our 2nd grader. The
principal said she was concerned about dd's absences. I am not concerned
about dd's absences--she is bright, she knows the material [she's missed
five days this month, but received 100 on her test for materials covered.]
I don't think the teacher is concerned. But the principal said dd is only
allowed 5 excused absences per semester.

This is similar to the situation in our school district.
You can thank the "No Child Left Behind" law for this. A lot of
flexibility has been removed from the local level.

I'm not happy about the possibility of legal sanctions for keeping dd home
(she was sick this month, but I wouldn't hesitate to take her out of school
for other things we feel are important.) Can they prosecute us for truancy
when dd is top of her class? I don't see the harm to anyone in dd not
going. And she *will* miss more school at Thanksgiving (important family
time.)

Yes, they can make your life very difficult over
the truancy issue. In general, the principal usually has
some degree of latitude and can approve absences in excess
of the number of allowed absences; however, in some areas
the principal has little latitude. You could risk your
daughter not being promoted to the next grade (or ultimately
not graduating) for these sorts of issues.

We had planned to talk at school conferences about keeping dd home one day
per week, or bi-weekly, to enhance her education. But from what I've read
about truancy laws tonight, this doesn't seem to be allowable. Has anyone
done this or know if it is doable?

I suspect this would not go over well. I would think
it would be *highly* disruptive to the teacher and the rest
of the class. I would either homeschool full time, leave things
as they are, or look for enrichment through the school
(GT programs, etc.). You'd be asking a *lot* of the teacher.
He or she would have to figure out how to make sure your
child suffered no ill effects from missing up to 20 percent
of the class! That would mean no quizzes/tests or other
assessments on that day, no special activities, etc. I
would think that would be pretty unreasonable to request.

Have others faced this truancy problem? How do you approach it? If this is
a law (5 days/semester,) does the principal have much leeway in enforcing
it? If not, then who do we talk with? The DA? Is it possible to
homeschool part-time (the days dd misses) and avoid a truancy enforcement?
Could we test out of second grade and attendance be optional?

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing. If you think that's really the
way you need to go, then I think you could solve the problem
by homeschooling full time and taking care to get well
involved in your local homeschooling community so that
she builds new networks of friends. If not, I'd try to
make a commitment to finding the challenge she needs with
this (or another) school.

Good luck,

Ericka

Ericka Kammerer October 25th 03 03:41 PM

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:

If your child is missing school because she's sick, then she is *not*
truant. The school cannot punish/penalized you or her for missing due to
illness. They may require that you provide a doctor's note (which is a real
PITA since it means you have to take her to the doctor if she's sick), but
that's as far as they can go.

On the contrary, thanks to the reforms associated with
"No Child Left Behind" that's not true. They *can* create
problems with too many absences *even* if they're excused, and
even if there are doctor's notes.

Best wishes,
Ericka

toypup October 25th 03 03:56 PM

"Vicki" wrote in message
I'm not happy about the possibility of legal sanctions for keeping dd home
(she was sick this month, but I wouldn't hesitate to take her out of

school
for other things we feel are important.) Can they prosecute us for

truancy
when dd is top of her class? I don't see the harm to anyone in dd not
going. And she *will* miss more school at Thanksgiving (important family
time.)

I doubt they'd get her for truancy if the only reason she's been out is for
being sick, as long as you can prove it with a doctor's note. Sounds like
the other reasons you feel are more important are getting in the way of her
education. Personally, I think you ought to either homeschool or follow
school rules. My parents would never have let me miss school to visit
family except for once when my grandma was dying, and we even got permission
for that (we had to go halfway around the world for two weeks during
finals). School is important. It is setting a precedent for how she will
be in her adult life. When she gets a job, she can't just take off because
of family unless it's an emergency. She will have to see what the workplace
rules are and work around that. If she doesn't like the workplace rules,
she can find another job, like you can homeschool. But you shouldn't have
her go to school and ignore the rules.

Penny Gaines October 25th 03 04:24 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Vicki wrote in :

[snip]
I think you're right about the problem with truancy and part-time
home-schooling. I'm not sure how we avoid that. As an aside, I'm not
worried about dd missing what is taught--she knows it. Nor do I expect
her
teacher to spend additional time to get dd caught up--dd is ahead. 2nd
grade curriculum seems pretty limited if you're already a good reader and
good with numbers. Our idea was to give dd a day of more challenging
materials. It is hard to fit them into the weekends and evenings (piano,
scouts, time with dad and siblings, etc.) dd reads constantly, but I'd
hoped to use the day for more hands on learning--science projects, trips
museum, etc. She's expressed interest in this (as opposed to full-time
homeschooling, which she's rejected,) but maybe this won't be allowed.

Can you work with the teacher to ensure she gets more challanging work
at school. My 7yo is in the top groups in her class, in spite of being
the youngest girl in th eclass, and the teacher sets her group more
challanging work while she goes over the basics with the rest of the class.
This is exactly how my teacher handled it when I was her age as well.

--

Penny Gaines

Sue October 25th 03 04:40 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't matter,
school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any whim. What is she
going to do in the real adult world when she has a job? Stay home because
she feels like it. What about college? She will need to be there all the
time in order to have all the information she needs to pass the class. If
she is sick that's one thing, but to stay home at any given time because you
think it is important doesn't fly well with school. You are also setting
your daughter up for negative attention from the other kids at school. They
will see her staying home, getting extra attention from the teacher because
lessons will have to be repeated to her and possibly getting out of
essential tests and assignments. If she is missing so much, it ruins the
dynamics of the class. I don't mean the classroom persay, but things will
be discussed in class and your daughter will have no clue as to what went on
the previous day. If you want to homeschool, then you need to do it full
time and not worry what your daughter wants because obviously you think what
education she is getting is inadequate. Just because you think she is smart
doesn't mean in reality that she is. She may be a little ahead in some areas
and perhaps feel bored with some assignments, but she also may be feeling
left out when she misses so many days. If you want to supplement her school
work, then perhaps you need to do it on the weekends and take away some of
her extracurricular activies that she has going.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Denise October 25th 03 05:00 PM

"cara" wrote in message

I have no experience with this at all, but the implication of 'truancy' to

me
means 'absences without parental knowledge or consent.'

I think in some school districts it doesn't matter the reasoning. I was
fairly high ranking in my high school class, all honors classes, all good
grades, but I spent the majority of my high school career on "academic
probation" for illnesses and absences that my parents had complete knowledge
of. I got suspended in the 9th grade for one day for having 5 excused
absences, if they were unexcused, it would have been after 3 that I was
suspended. Doesn't make sense to suspend me from school for not going, but
that's what they did. Bizarre rules.

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 05:19 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: Bottom line on truancy -- what the schools are most concerned about is
that
: every student who doesn't show up is ultimately money lost in their school
: budget.

Right. And if your child is absent so often that the school is not getting
any money for her, then they should not be required to educate your child
*at all.*
--
ColoradoSkiBum

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 05:28 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: I read a child is limited to 10 absences excused by the parent per
: year--guess this is where the 5/semester comes from. I can't get a
doctor's
: excuse for the flu dd had 2 weeks ago--we didn't go to the doctor. I did
: call and talk with a nurse at the hospital, but I couldn't say her name.
In
: any case, dd will miss again around Thanksgiving due to something
important
: to us. That will put me over the five, even if dd stays healthy until
then.
: If they're not REALLY going to fine me (b/c we do care about her
education,)
: then who do I talk with beforehand so I don't have to have fines hanging
: over my head?

If that's district policy, then you will probably have to talk to someone at
the district level. That's a pretty strict policy, but definitely open to
interpretation by the individual schools, also. The previous district that
I taught in had such a policy, but it was never enforced at the school I
taught at. But it does sound like your daughter's school is pretty serious
about enforcing the policy.

Perhaps you could start by talking to an administrator at her school--as
someone else suggested, that letter may have been generated automatically.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 05:33 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: If your child is missing school because she's sick, then she is *not*
: truant. The school cannot punish/penalized you or her for missing due
: illness. They may require that you provide a doctor's note (which is a
real
: PITA since it means you have to take her to the doctor if she's sick),
but
: that's as far as they can go.
:
:
: On the contrary, thanks to the reforms associated with
: "No Child Left Behind" that's not true. They *can* create
: problems with too many absences *even* if they're excused, and
: even if there are doctor's notes.

I obviously spoke too soon; it really depends on the district. One of the
districts I used to teach in was very good about working with students who
had long-term illnesses, and would set up in-home tutoring for kids so they
could keep on top of their work and not get too far behind. OTOH, we had
students who ditched 20 days in a single school *quarter* (9 weeks) and we
could not get rid of them. When the school finally got them and their
parents before the judge, basically the judge would make it out to be all
the school's fault for not getting the kid into school. Did we call their
parent every time the kid was absent? Did an administrator go to the home
to look for the kid? Things like that made me leave that district.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 05:38 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: This will vary from school to school, and from state to state, both in
: how much leeway the teacher or principal has and in how willing they are
: (if they DO have the leeway) to excuse absences. Some will accept
: absolutely NO excuse but illness or family funeral, others will
: negotiate for excused absences for family vacations or other reasons.

This really surprised me actually when my SS came to live with us 2 years
ago. He's been at 4 different schools now (all same district), and they
will "excuse" absences for *any* reason--you don't even have to give a
reason--as long as the parent calls in to let them know the child is absent,
it's considered "excused." There have been many occasions when I've
forgotten to call in, or he's missed the bus and his dad couldn't take him
to school, and they actually call *us* to find out why he's not at school.
"Missing the bus" seems to be a perfectly acceptable excuse. But he only
misses maybe once a month, so maybe that's why they're not too concerned
about it.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

H Schinske October 25th 03 07:05 PM

wrote:

For example, this school district I live in allows
only ten excused absences a year or you are retained.

Oh, that's insane. You can be retained just because you had stomach flu three
times, and didn't have the luck to have it over any weekends?? I can't think of
too many things I would sue over, but a law as stupid as that, it would almost
be fun.

--Helen

H Schinske October 25th 03 07:09 PM

Ericka ) wrote:

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing.

Actually this too depends on the district. There are a number of partial
homeschoolers where I live (though admittedly most are doing essentially all
the academic work at home, and coming in for things like band and gym).

--Helen

H Schinske October 25th 03 07:11 PM

Sue ) wrote:

Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't matter,
school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any whim. What is she
going to do in the real adult world when she has a job? Stay home because
she feels like it.

And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important to
stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a message that
is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one reason why so many
people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or work to make their lives
more interesting.

--Helen

Donna Metler October 25th 03 07:17 PM

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
[...]

The problem isn't the child who has a long-term absense-children on
homebound are considered to be in attendance under the law. But a child who
misses a day here, a day there, whether due to illness, parents pulling them
out for trips, or cutting to hang out at the mall is a big problem, both
for funding (Average Daily Attendance) and for truancy statisitics.

If your child has a medical condition which may require frequent short
absenses, a homebound plan can be put into effect, where the child is
considered to be homebound, but attends school when able-this is part of a
504 plan or an IEP (for Other Health Issues). With St. Jude's hospital in my
district, we have had quite a few children at my school who are in treatment
for Cancer, and attend school when they're feeling good, but stay home when
they're reacting badly to chemotherapy, or when their resistance is down.

--
ColoradoSkiBum

Donna Metler October 25th 03 07:19 PM

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Ericka ) wrote:

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing.

Actually this too depends on the district. There are a number of partial
homeschoolers where I live (though admittedly most are doing essentially

all
the academic work at home, and coming in for things like band and gym).

However, in these cases, the homeschooling student is taking a complete
class, not missing 20% of the time in all classes. There's a big difference
between having a child missing a significant part of the course content, and
having an extra child every day for 1st period.
--Helen

dragonlady October 25th 03 07:19 PM

(H Schinske) wrote:

wrote:

For example, this school district I live in allows
only ten excused absences a year or you are retained.

Oh, that's insane. You can be retained just because you had stomach flu three
times, and didn't have the luck to have it over any weekends?? I can't think
of
too many things I would sue over, but a law as stupid as that, it would
almost
be fun.

--Helen

For several years, one of my daughters was so sick during the first day
of her period that she usually missed one day of school. Add one or two
short illnesses to that, and it would take very little to get up to ten
excused absences. I have some sympathy for why they have rules like
this, but it's still just wrong!

meh

dragonlady October 25th 03 07:27 PM

"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

Part of the problem is that, unless you really know what you are doing
or hook up with someone who does, the school can make it hard for you to
get the support to which you are legally entitled.

Several years ago, my daughter became severely ill with hepatitis.
Obviously, she was going to miss a lot of school. What I wanted was
support for homebound teachers for her classes, and, since we lived
across the street from the school, I wanted her to be able to return to
classes part time when she was strong enough first for Chemistry and
when she could handle two classes a day for Spanish -- the two classes
where actually being there mattered most. I spent several weeks getting
a run around from the school (the principal wanted me to withdraw her
from school all together and put her in independent study until she was
strong enough to come back full time). Then i got the expected call
from the county health department that does the contact tracing for Hep.
B. She asked if there was anything I needed. I described the situation
with the school, and she said she'd take care of it. Within less than
five hours, I had a call from the school giving us exactly what I'd been
asking for!

I am not an uneducated person, and I knew that what I was asking for was
legal and appropriate -- I just hadn't had the clout to pull the right
strings. Frankly, that makes me very angry on behalf of the kids whose
parents don't know their legal entitlements and never hook up with
someone who can help them.

meh

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 08:22 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: I am not an uneducated person, and I knew that what I was asking for was
: legal and appropriate -- I just hadn't had the clout to pull the right
: strings. Frankly, that makes me very angry on behalf of the kids whose
: parents don't know their legal entitlements and never hook up with
: someone who can help them.

It makes me angry too. Fortunately you knew what to ask for--and even
though you got the runaround you kept asking until it came through. Many
parents would just give up and cave in.

This all kind of reminds me of the phone company regulations. Did you know
that if they miss an appointment with you (say to install new service, or to
fix your phone line), that you are entitled to a $25 credit on your phone
bill? BUT they don't have to tell you that when you call to complain about
the missed appointment--you have to specifically ASK for it and then they
are REQUIRED to give it? Most people don't know that so they never ask!
--
ColoradoSkiBum

ColoradoSkiBum October 25th 03 08:24 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important
: stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a message
that
: is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one reason why so
many
: people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or work to make their
lives
: more interesting.

Or even to quit college if they feel it's not doing them any good. For some
reason most kids feel like they *have to* go to college, even if they don't
want to and aren't learning anything.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Brandy Kurtz October 25th 03 09:09 PM

"Vicki" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have faced truancy problems with my 7 year old, but due to medical
problems. In our district the children are allowed 20 days per 180
year of school. Anything over that requires a doctors note. Just
because your dd is so much smarter than all the rest of the kids and
you have financial influences in the school, they still can't bend the
rules. It is a fact that her teacher will have to spend extra time and
effort with your child to get the missed work done, which will take
time away from the children that need her guidance. Since you think
school is such a waste of time for her then you should just
home-school, and let her socialize after school hours.

Brandy

Denise October 25th 03 09:13 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in

I have faced truancy problems with my 7 year old, but due to medical
problems. In our district the children are allowed 20 days per 180
year of school. Anything over that requires a doctors note. Just
because your dd is so much smarter than all the rest of the kids and
you have financial influences in the school, they still can't bend the
rules. It is a fact that her teacher will have to spend extra time and
effort with your child to get the missed work done, which will take
time away from the children that need her guidance. Since you think
school is such a waste of time for her then you should just
home-school, and let her socialize after school hours.

Brandy

wow... talk about putting words in someone else's mouth. I must have missed
the post where the OP said all that.

toypup October 25th 03 09:34 PM

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Sue ) wrote:

Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't

matter,
school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any whim. What is she
going to do in the real adult world when she has a job? Stay home because
she feels like it.

And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important

stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a message

that
is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one reason why so

many
people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or work to make their

lives
more interesting.

The point is, she's in school and the school has rules. If she doesn't want
to follow those rules, she finds another school or homeschools or something
where the rules suit her. But, as long as she attends that school, she
needs to follow their rules. If she were in a dead-end job, she could quit
her job and find another more satisfying job, but as long as she keeps her
job (her choice), she needs to follow the rules.

dragonlady October 25th 03 10:00 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

In article ,
"Denise" wrote:

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in

I have faced truancy problems with my 7 year old, but due to medical
problems. In our district the children are allowed 20 days per 180
year of school. Anything over that requires a doctors note. Just
because your dd is so much smarter than all the rest of the kids and
you have financial influences in the school, they still can't bend the
rules. It is a fact that her teacher will have to spend extra time and
effort with your child to get the missed work done, which will take
time away from the children that need her guidance. Since you think
school is such a waste of time for her then you should just
home-school, and let her socialize after school hours.

Brandy

wow... talk about putting words in someone else's mouth. I must have missed
the post where the OP said all that.

While I might not have phrased it exactly the way Brandy did, I
certainly wondered why the OP felt it necessary to point out her
family's financial contributions.

I did understand why she was pointing out that her daughter wasn't
suffering academically -- that is, imo, relevant to the concerns about
missed classes. The fact that the family funded things in the community
didn't seem to be relevant.

meh

Sue October 25th 03 10:05 PM

H Schinske wrote in message
And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important
to stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a

message that is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one
reason why so many people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or
work to make their live more interesting.

Then she needs to homeschool full time, if she is not happy. My kids are
learning in school and I am essentially happy with the education they have
had thus far. Like I said, if she is not happy then she should change. She
is sending the wrong message to her child by letting her go some of the
time, but taking her out for part of the time. NOT everyone thinks poorly of
public school and what they are getting.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

dejablues October 26th 03 12:47 AM

"Vicki" wrote in message
Today we received a warning letter for truancy for our 2nd grader. The
principal said she was concerned about dd's absences. I am not concerned
about dd's absences--she is bright, she knows the material [she's missed
five days this month, but received 100 on her test for materials covered.]
I don't think the teacher is concerned. But the principal said dd is only
allowed 5 excused absences per semester.

I'm not happy about the possibility of legal sanctions for keeping dd home
(she was sick this month, but I wouldn't hesitate to take her out of

school
for other things we feel are important.)

You are teaching your daughter that it is OK to skip out on things that she
*has* to do in order to do things she (or you ) *wants* to do.

Can they prosecute us for truancy
when dd is top of her class? I don't see the harm to anyone in dd not
going. And she *will* miss more school at Thanksgiving (important family
time.)

There might be repercussions from other kids who think that your DD is
getting "special treatment" in being allowed to miss days of school to go to
museums, trips, etc., something that not everyone else gets to do.

We had planned to talk at school conferences about keeping dd home one day
per week, or bi-weekly, to enhance her education. But from what I've read
about truancy laws tonight, this doesn't seem to be allowable. Has anyone
done this or know if it is doable?

dd does not want to homeschool full-time--she likes seeing her friends at
school and we think this is good for her. We have discussed getting
appropriate challenge in her classroom--the teacher has been helpful, but
there is only so much she can do. We chose not to skip dd to the next

grade
as she is already the youngest in her class.

There there schools that still skip children? I though this was pretty much
abandoned by now. I skipped first grade (parents strongly pushed for it) ,
and while there were benefits, there were also significant drawbacks for me
throughout my school career.

Have others faced this truancy problem? How do you approach it? If this

is
a law (5 days/semester,) does the principal have much leeway in enforcing
it? If not, then who do we talk with? The DA? Is it possible to
homeschool part-time (the days dd misses) and avoid a truancy enforcement?
Could we test out of second grade and attendance be optional?

dh is calling the principal next week, and we will meet with dd's teacher

in
three weeks. I'd like to have a sense of our options before we go so we

do
what's right by dd and cause the least distress to her teacher and

principal
(who are quite nice.)

I bet they cringe when they see YOU coming!

dejablues October 26th 03 12:50 AM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

I should have read your post before I answered, Sue. That is exactly what I
wanted to say, and you said it very well.

Sue October 26th 03 03:53 AM

dejablues wrote in message
I should have read your post before I answered, Sue. That is exactly what
I wanted to say, and you said it very well.

Well, thank you. :o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Donna Metler October 26th 03 02:51 PM

Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

The children's hospitals here are very good at working with the schools-and
it may be that with Le Bonheur and St. Jude's here, we've had to become more
flexible. In general, the larger the system, the more flexible they seem to
be able to be.

What frustrated me was a few years back. I was, at the time, on half-time
status following HELLP syndrome, after 8 weeks maternity leave. Meanwhile,
the same week I went back half-time, a teen mother (who had delivered her
son prematurely at the same gestational age I'd delivered mine). She had
been absent two weeks-and was being told by the school that if she didn't
come back, she'd fail for the year. Now, if she had been an employee, she
would not have been ALLOWED to go back to work for 6 weeks (or until she had
medical clearance). If she had given birth to a living baby, she would have
been allowed to enter a teen parenting program, which would have provided
extra supports and a modified schedule, both while recuperating from
delivery, and until graduation. I mean, she may have been all of 16, but she
had just gone through a difficult delivery and one of the worst emotional
situations you can go through-with little emotional support, because most
people really wanted to forget that the whole pregnancy had even happened!

It took three phone calls to get a 504 plan set up, which allowed her a
modified schedule for the rest of the year.

meh

Ericka Kammerer October 26th 03 02:53 PM

H Schinske wrote:

Ericka ) wrote:

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing.

Actually this too depends on the district. There are a number of partial
homeschoolers where I live (though admittedly most are doing essentially all
the academic work at home, and coming in for things like band and gym).

Yes, I have heard of that--but wouldn't the kids then
be *required* to attend all of the pieces they signed up for
regularly? A child who is missing elementary school for a
day here and there, even if it's a planned particular day,
is almost certainly going to be missing bits and pieces of
any particular academic subject. One a theoretical level,
one might have better luck asking to homeschool a particular
subject or subjects and having the child attend school for
other subjects, but if the child is attending school for
some academic subjects I would think that would be
extremely difficult to work around logistically.

Best wishes,
Ericka