ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Georgetown U. Hospital firing their midwives (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7238)

Alpha April 8th 04 02:43 AM

Georgetown U. Hospital firing their midwives

Sad news... Georgetown University Hospital has decided to fire the midwives
it has on staff. These are the midwives who attended my VBAC attempt.
They provided excellent care. What a loss for DC-area women.

Links:

http://www.thehoya.com/news/040604/news8.cfm
http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_r...fm?DR_ID=23036
http://www.washtimes.com/functions/p...1-104950-4610r

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn

Ilse Witch April 8th 04 02:41 PM

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:43:57 +0000, Alpha wrote:

Sad news... Georgetown University Hospital has decided to fire the midwives
it has on staff.

Quote from article:
"Economic challenges and skyrocketing medical liability premiums
contributed to the program's end, at a time of general nationwide layoffs
as a result of rising insurance rates."

So when is someone going to do something about this? Or will we end up
like that poor Mexican woman, doing our own c-sec, since no affordable
care will be available? Sorry if I sound extremely cynical, but I think
this is an outrage!

--
-- I
mommy to DS (20m)

Cheryl S. April 8th 04 03:20 PM

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
Quote from article:
"Economic challenges and skyrocketing medical liability
premiums contributed to the program's end, at a time
of general nationwide layoffs as a result of rising insurance
rates."

The thing that so infuriates me is that midwives are *more*
cost-effective, so this just such total BS!!
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 7 months