ParentingBanter.com

-   Twins & Triplets (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   names question (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14466)

Middletree November 10th 03 05:57 PM

names question

We have a new boy, to be born in early March. When discussing names, my wife
and I went through baby names books and websites, just like many people.
It was neat to learn what different names mean, but I couldn't find any information
resource which would give you possible names based on meanings. In other
words, I could find out that Sarah means "princess", but if I knew I wanted
to name my kid a name which means "princess", how would I go about finding
a list of possible names for that meaning?

For the record, I am looking for a boy name which is biblical or derived
from a bible name, and which means something along the lines of "abundant",
"fulfilled", or "overflowing".

Missy in Indiana November 10th 03 06:21 PM

names question

I can't help you, but just couldn't resist replying. I think your choices of
meanings are all wonderful and very appropriate ;) Good luck!

For the record, I am looking for a boy name which is biblical or derived
from a bible name, and which means something along the lines of "abundant",
"fulfilled", or "overflowing".

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Fer November 10th 03 08:37 PM

names question

"Middletree" wrote in message

We have a new boy, to be born in early March. When discussing names, my

wife
and I went through baby names books and websites, just like many people.
It was neat to learn what different names mean, but I couldn't find any

information
resource which would give you possible names based on meanings. In other
words, I could find out that Sarah means "princess", but if I knew I

wanted
to name my kid a name which means "princess", how would I go about finding
a list of possible names for that meaning?

For the record, I am looking for a boy name which is biblical or derived
from a bible name, and which means something along the lines of

"abundant",
"fulfilled", or "overflowing".

Vibol-Abundant
Jesus-fulfilled
EPHRAIM -fruitful
No luck on overflowing but you can check out this site
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/bibl.html

HTH

--

Jenn

KimandJuan November 10th 03 08:49 PM

names question

http://www.parentsplace.com/pregnancy/babynames/finder

I got the following....
Jett ( Jethro), a 1-syllable boy's name of Hebrew origin, means: Abundance;
excellence.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

KimandJuan November 10th 03 08:49 PM

names question

http://www.parentsplace.com/pregnancy/babynames/finder

I got the following....
Jett ( Jethro), a 1-syllable boy's name of Hebrew origin, means: Abundance;
excellence.

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

November 10th 03 10:05 PM

names question

Wow! This is a great site--thanks.

Of course, I won't be willing to name my son Jethro, because of the Bodine/Clampett
implications. But still a great help, this site.

Nick Theodorakis November 11th 03 02:16 AM

names question

On 10 Nov 2003 19:49:07 GMT, (KimandJuan) wrote:

http://www.parentsplace.com/pregnancy/babynames/finder

Here's another baby-naming site:

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Nick

PS ;-)

--
Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

KimandJuan November 11th 03 02:16 AM

names question

I thought the same thing. But, Jett has a nice ring to it! -- i think that is
what John Travolta named his son... so you could be trendy also!;)

Good luck on the hunt. ~ we chose Aislyn's name because of the
meaning-----inspiration

FrisbeeŽ MCNGP November 11th 03 03:58 PM

names question

KimandJuan wrote:
http://www.parentsplace.com/pregnancy/babynames/finder

I got the following....
Jett ( Jethro), a 1-syllable boy's name of Hebrew origin, means:
Abundance; excellence.

And guarunteed to grajiate clean up through the sixth grade!

Ellie Mae, means: Lover of critters. Also, abundance in another way.

--
Fris "Unka Jed says 'Don't stop!'" beeŽ MCNGP #13

http://www.mcngp.tk
The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

Andrea November 11th 03 06:37 PM

names question

Of course, I won't be willing to name my son Jethro, because of the
Bodine/Clampett
implications.

LOL! That's exactly what my thought was when I read it. I don't think there
are too many people in the US who wouldn't automatically think of the Beverly
Hillbillies when hearing the name Jethro. :)

Andrea
twin girls-Jordan & Madison
3/22/00

Marten G November 15th 03 12:52 AM

names question

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:57:19 +0000, Middletree wrote
(in message ):

if I knew I wanted
to name my kid a name which means "princess", how would I go about finding
a list of possible names for that meaning?

For the record, I am looking for a boy name which is biblical or derived
from a bible name, and which means something along the lines of "abundant",
"fulfilled", or "overflowing".

I put 'abundant hebrew' into Google and the top site was exactly what you
want : www.babynameaddicts.com

multimom4 November 17th 03 06:15 PM

names question

Nice name, though :-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"middletree" wrote in message
Thanks. We decided on Zachary David, even though it didn't mean

overflowing
or abundant

. de...

multimom4 November 17th 03 06:15 PM

names question

Nice name, though :-)

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

"middletree" wrote in message
Thanks. We decided on Zachary David, even though it didn't mean

overflowing
or abundant

. de...

chiam margalit November 18th 03 08:11 PM

names question

"Middletree" wrote in message ...
We have a new boy, to be born in early March. When discussing names, my wife
and I went through baby names books and websites, just like many people.
It was neat to learn what different names mean, but I couldn't find any information
resource which would give you possible names based on meanings. In other
words, I could find out that Sarah means "princess", but if I knew I wanted
to name my kid a name which means "princess", how would I go about finding
a list of possible names for that meaning?

For the record, I am looking for a boy name which is biblical or derived
from a bible name, and which means something along the lines of "abundant",
"fulfilled", or "overflowing".

There is a book by Kolatch called The Name Dictionary, which is a
hebrew dictionary of names. YOu can read each entry for meanings and
it also has the relationship of male/female names, plus related
sounding names. So, if you look up Rose, you'll find an entry for
Shoshana (hebrew for Rose), the male equivalent if there is one, and
related names. It also has a very in depth explanation of the meaning
and etymology of the name.

Marjorie

C Straka November 23rd 03 04:10 AM

names question

"Andrea" wrote in message
Of course, I won't be willing to name my son Jethro, because of the
Bodine/Clampett
implications.

This thread has me chuckling about one of my sons' classmates. Cameron kept
talking about "Cletus", so I was imagining a cross-eyed child in a red
flannel plaid shirt. Turns out the kid's name is "Keidis".

Claudia (whose children have non-hillbilly names Alison, Timothy, Cameron)

Rhiann1048 November 23rd 03 05:19 AM

names question

Subject: names question
From: "C Straka"
Date: Sat, Nov 22, 2003 8:10 PM

"Andrea" wrote in message
Of course, I won't be willing to name my son Jethro, because of the
Bodine/Clampett
implications.

This thread has me chuckling about one of my sons' classmates. Cameron kept
talking about "Cletus", so I was imagining a cross-eyed child in a red
flannel plaid shirt. Turns out the kid's name is "Keidis".

Claudia (whose children have non-hillbilly names Alison, Timothy, Cameron)

Hmmph. Cletus is my grandpa's middle name. But my great grandparents gave
their kids some *doozy* names.

If you ever meet the kid's parents, ask them if they are big fans of the Red
Hot Chili Peppers.

Lori
-who never watched the Beverly Hillbillies and would think of Jethro Tull
before any TV show upon hearing the name Jethro.

Rhiann1048 November 23rd 03 05:19 AM

names question

shirley November 23rd 03 05:50 PM

names question

Ok, names, names, names, my grandfather's name was Moses (of course he would
be 115 now so I guess that wasn't so unusual back then, and also my DH's
grandmother's middle name was Dorcus (from the Bible), again, we thought it
odd but she too would be about 109 now so the end of the century turned out
some interesting names. I do know a Cletus though, he's 70 something and
from the south.

Shirley

Paula Johnson November 23rd 03 10:16 PM

names question

"C Straka" wrote in message able.rogers.com...

This thread has me chuckling about one of my sons' classmates. Cameron kept
talking about "Cletus", so I was imagining a cross-eyed child in a red
flannel plaid shirt.

LOL! When I was a software training instructor, I had the name "Cletus
Fernandez" on my roster and wasn't really sure what to expect.

I definitely didn't expect Cletus to be a Pakistani computer
programmer :-). I never did get a chance to ask how he got this
name...

Paula
Olivia & Cassie, born 4/8/03 @ 26 weeks
^Grace^ (b. 5/16/02 d. 5/17/02) & ^Adam^ (b/d. 5/17/02)

Megan November 23rd 03 11:30 PM

names question

Maybe Keidis has a young Mom. Anthony Keidis is the name of the leader
singer of The Red Hot Chili Peppers, a funky band big in the early 90's.

~Megan~
Aidan Matthew & Alexis Valerie
Born September 28, 2002

www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aidannalexis

Chotii November 24th 03 01:54 AM

names question

"shirley" wrote in message
Ok, names, names, names, my grandfather's name was Moses (of course he

would
be 115 now so I guess that wasn't so unusual back then, and also my DH's
grandmother's middle name was Dorcus (from the Bible), again, we thought

it
odd but she too would be about 109 now so the end of the century turned

out
some interesting names. I do know a Cletus though, he's 70 something and
from the south.

My great-grandmothers were named Grace, Furba (She was called Furby by her
friends) and Virginia. I don't know what the other one was named. The only
great-grandfather whose name I know was Thomas.

--angela

bert November 24th 03 04:09 PM

names question

OK.... If we had had a boy instead of two girls he would have been named
Josef Vladzimer Szala-Krotkov. I could not bear to call him Gleb -
which would have been in honor of DH's Grandfather.

Bert
http://wookie.oit.umass.edu/gallery/twins

multimom4 November 24th 03 09:28 PM

names question

On Biblical names, I have a great great grandmother born in the early 1840s
whose name was Azubah Zipporah Dewhurst.

Her siblings? Also largely Biblical: Zerah Zuriel, Alexandrine Zetilla
and, oddly, plain old Eden Elizabeth (aka Ada). Which actually has a lot to
do with where Holly Alexandra Eden came from -- I didn't quite think I could
sneak Alexandrine past dh, and he totally nixed Zetilla (Tilly).

Azubah Zipporah's children, born in the mid 1860s --

Frances Zipporah (known as Fanny)
Elizabeth Sarah (my great grandmother; known as Sarah)
Rachel Alice (rather a nice one, that, I always think)
and, of course,
Zetilla (known as Tilly, the tragic one who died "young" -- 60, it turned
out when I investigated -- as my mother was frequently reminded by her 70-80
year old grandmother and aunts.)

Rachel's daughter? A last Zetilla. And someone had, I believe, another
Azubah Zipporah. And so ended the freakish streak.

The last couple of generations of women in my family have followed a
tradition of late-ish childbearing (Azubah did have Sarah at about 21, but
Sarah was 36, my mother was 30 and I was 34 -- 39 with Holly) ... so we go
back a *long* way in not many generations!

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)