ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Teaching kids the difference between needs and wants (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=66306)

Avid Fan September 19th 09 12:47 PM

Teaching kids the difference between needs and wants

wrote:
With the Christmas season upon us again, my stepdaughter was launching
into her usual tirade of "I need this" (Nintendo 64 games, Pokemon,
videos, Rhianna CD, etc.) After enduring a trip through Kmart, I
was at my wits end. I took the kid home and filled the bathtub with
water. Then I dunked the brat's head under the water and counted out a
full minute, with her flailing her arms. I brought her up and she
gasped for air. When she'd caught her breath, I asked her, "When you
were under that water, did you 'need' Nintendo? Pokemon? Rhianna?"
She shook her head. "What were you thinking about?" I
prodded. She told me "I was thinking that I needed air."

"Now you know the difference between 'need' and 'want'" I exclaimed
triumphantly.

--a true story

Err don't try this at home unless you want spend time inside.

I would try "No".

jonewoo December 16th 09 07:13 AM

Teaching youngsters the difference between what they want and what they need is one lesson it is essential kids need to know what is a necessity and what is not.Parents should pay for a child's needs and only some of their wants. The rest they can save for, If a child needs a new pair of sneakers, but wants a very expensive pair to offer to save for the difference between a regular pair and the more costly one."The parent fulfills the need, the child fulfils the want by jointly paying for the sneakers".The child may decide on his or her own that the sneakers are just not worth the extra.Parents should pay for the child's needs in the younger years, leaving an allowance to spend on extras.