ParentingBanter.com

-   Child Support (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   back child support Please Help (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32885)

mike101225 July 21st 05 04:20 AM

back child support Please Help

I live In WI. I have been divorced for almost 14 years. Originally I had
joint placement and custody up until my childs age of 9. Her and her
mother moved farther away within the state and eventually remarried. I
obviously as the child got older was denied placement and custody.
Initially in my order I was told to pay 17% even though now attys tell me
I over payed. For the first couple of years I payed the that figure. Until
I went to mediation and got an agreement stating my support should be
reduced $170.00 due to the fact I have my child the same amount as my
exwife. 14 years later I am still paying the same figure. Now all of a
sudden I am being sued for BACK SUPPORT totalling $10,000.00? Do I have
any recourse? I have been told conflicting reports from attys I have
talked to

Moon Shyne July 21st 05 10:39 AM

"mike101225" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
I live In WI. I have been divorced for almost 14 years. Originally I had
joint placement and custody up until my childs age of 9. Her and her
mother moved farther away within the state and eventually remarried. I
obviously as the child got older was denied placement and custody.
Initially in my order I was told to pay 17% even though now attys tell me
I over payed. For the first couple of years I payed the that figure. Until
I went to mediation and got an agreement stating my support should be
reduced $170.00 due to the fact I have my child the same amount as my
exwife. 14 years later I am still paying the same figure. Now all of a
sudden I am being sued for BACK SUPPORT totalling $10,000.00? Do I have
any recourse? I have been told conflicting reports from attys I have
talked to

They stopped using percentage based child support orders ages ago, but 17%
is the mandated amount for 1 child, with a sliding scale of reductions based
on the amount of overnights you have the child.

When the amount was reduced, after mediation, did you get a new court order
for the reduced amount? If not, you probably have no recourse - the courts
and child support enforcement will go by the amount of child support stated
in the court order(s).