ParentingBanter.com

-   Kids Health (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AC cord bundled up bursts into flame (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=67267)

Andrew Usher[_2_] July 26th 11 01:32 PM

AC cord bundled up bursts into flame

Dustbin wrote:

It strikes me that any cable that gets warm in 'normal' use is insufficient.

If the cross-sectional area is adequate the resistance will be low
enough and the heat dissipation will be negligible. I would be very
unhappy if any cable of mine grew warm to the touch even when bundled
tightly as indicated in the video.

Rod Speed is just quibbling of what 'warm' means. People do
bundle up cables like that, and the cable in the video was
clearly not up to the current it was carrying. But on the other
hand I know that line cords can get warm in use; it's only a
matter of how warm is acceptable.

You may consider me overly cautious but I would say it is easy to leave
something switched on and come home to a burned down house... etc.

Certainly.

Andrew Usher