ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bibs that really work? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=51590)

Chris June 2nd 07 04:20 AM

Bibs that really work?

Has anyone been successful in ever finding a bib that actually kept
food off of the babies pants? I have bought tons. Tired of also having
to wash the seat, under the seat, the foot rest, and the floor as
well. With my first baby, I just chalked it up to being part of the
self-feeding process - messy to the point of clothing changes,
including mine since the food on their bottom halves would transfer to
my shirts upon removal from the highchair. lol. With the second, it
was a bit bothersome, but still "just a part of it." Now with 2 older
kids needing to be places and more demands on all of our time, I find
it very frustrating when I sit down and think "Okay, let's get you fed
and then when you are done, we can go......" but it is never that easy
because of the clothing changes, his and sometimes mine as well, which
have to occur again first. Then, the crud that grows under the seat in
my neglect and rush can be quite gruesome when I refind it later when
I have more time. lol. I have bought all of the bibs I could find that
had various versions of pockets on the bottom, but food still goes
down; sure less food, but still allows a mess. I have bought full-
length body bibs, and still no benefit. Any successful bib models out
there?

toypup June 2nd 07 04:30 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:20:30 -0700, Chris wrote:

I have more time. lol. I have bought all of the bibs I could find that
had various versions of pockets on the bottom, but food still goes
down; sure less food, but still allows a mess. I have bought full-
length body bibs, and still no benefit. Any successful bib models out
there?

Yes. I went through all of them myself for the same reasons you did. I
went to Ebay and then found something under "body bib." That was the basic
shape. I had the Ebay lady make the top half waterproof so food doesn't
stick to it and put a pocket on it so that food gets caught and doesn't
fall on the floor. The bottom half protects the pants, has elastic to keep
it on the legs, is split so that it fits in the high chair. It sort of
looks like this, but with the changes added above.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Baby-Bibs-Body-B...QQcmdZViewItem
I don't remember the name of the lady who made it, but I'm sure another
Ebayer or tailor could do it for you.

Chris June 2nd 07 04:53 AM

Bibs that really work?

looks like this, but with the changes added above.http://cgi.ebay.com/Baby-Bibs-Body-B...20127360838QQi...
I don't remember the name of the lady who made it, but I'm sure another
Ebayer or tailor could do it for you.

I found a model like that on E-bay myself a while back, but I didn't
bother with it since food was still going to go down the sides and in
between the legs. lol. Since I have the Crumb Chumb, which is similar,
just not split for legs, it keeps food out from between the legs, but
not from falling down the sides, and the pocket IT has in the front is
a pain to clean when something slimy and squashable gets stuck into
the corner of the pocket, I didn't bother with that one. lol. It is
also waterproof. That really worked for ya though, eh? Not one bit of
food got passed the bib at all? Sorry, I'm skeptical. lol.

Anne Rogers[_2_] June 2nd 07 05:07 AM

Bibs that really work?

we bought a two pack of rubbery bibs that had troughs at the bottom, you can
get the same made out of hard plastic, or towelling with a hard plastic
insert, but these are flexible rubber. They are not perfect, but they are
sufficient, they were bought before our now 4yr old started solids and are
still in use by his younger sister, now almost 2. We do have other
strategies though, we have for ages given breakfast whilst still in night
clothes, then was them fairly frequently (it was daily when they were babies
and has spread out, we have a reasonably high tolerance as to how dirty a
sleeper can be, plus we only have 2 sleepers in the current size, when we
had 10+ in the small sizes), lunch is something that only produces crumbs,
snacks also, then after dinner, it's not long until bed!

Cheers

Anne

toypup June 2nd 07 05:44 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 20:53:09 -0700, Chris wrote:

I found a model like that on E-bay myself a while back, but I didn't
bother with it since food was still going to go down the sides and in
between the legs. lol. Since I have the Crumb Chumb, which is similar,
just not split for legs, it keeps food out from between the legs, but
not from falling down the sides, and the pocket IT has in the front is
a pain to clean when something slimy and squashable gets stuck into
the corner of the pocket, I didn't bother with that one. lol. It is
also waterproof. That really worked for ya though, eh? Not one bit of
food got passed the bib at all? Sorry, I'm skeptical. lol.

I had the Crumb Chumb. I didn't like it. The food slid down the legs onto
the floor. With the cloth on the legs of the body bib, wet food that got
there stuck there and I threw it in the wash. The pocket and top was
waterproof, I just rinsed it out and reused, if the rest wasn't filthy. I
don't think you'll find a bib where not one bit of food gets passed it, but
the one I had made was pretty good at doing what I needed it to do. It was
the best I found and I had a lot of bibs. I also had the nylon cover for
the highchair so that I didn't have to wash the highchair cover and also a
plastic sheet for the floor when the kids went through their messiest
eating stage.

Chris June 2nd 07 05:50 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Jun 2, 12:44?am, toypup wrote:
[...]

LOL. I had the floor mat and nylon cover too! How long did it take you
to figure out that washing the high chair seat cover took the same
amount of time, if not longer, to wipe down and clean? It took me
once. The floor mat I had wound up looking nasty with my first baby
when anything tomato-based landed on it, it got stained and those
didn't come out so it just looked dirty all of the time. lol. Thanks
for the input.

Chris June 2nd 07 05:53 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Jun 2, 12:07?am, "Anne Rogers" wrote:
we bought a two pack of rubbery bibs that had troughs at the bottom, you can
get the same made out of hard plastic, or towelling with a hard plastic
insert, but these are flexible rubber. They are not perfect, but they are
sufficient, they were bought before our now 4yr old started solids and are
still in use by his younger sister, now almost 2. We do have other
strategies though, we have for ages given breakfast whilst still in night
clothes, then was them fairly frequently (it was daily when they were babies
and has spread out, we have a reasonably high tolerance as to how dirty a
sleeper can be, plus we only have 2 sleepers in the current size, when we
had 10+ in the small sizes), lunch is something that only produces crumbs,
snacks also, then after dinner, it's not long until bed!

Cheers

Anne

I betchya I have those Anne. lol. Somehow he still got food onto his
SHIRT underneath the models I've tried with the troughs. lol. @@ Funny
how standards change as time goes on and with number of children,
isn't it. lol. That IS the good thing about dinner time; just up and
out of the chair and into the tub. lol. Sometimes I need to feed him
his dinner in between a trip to the store and a trip to a soccer game
(games always occur at normal dinnertime so I have to feed him first
and he is in he do-it-myself stage). lol. He is getting less messy
though now at 19 months. Just certain things like rice dishes and
tomato dishes cause alarm. lol.

toypup June 2nd 07 06:01 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 21:50:00 -0700, Chris wrote:

LOL. I had the floor mat and nylon cover too! How long did it take you
to figure out that washing the high chair seat cover took the same
amount of time, if not longer, to wipe down and clean?

Well, if I have to throw it in the wash, I'd have to do a load of laundry,
and then I'd have to wait for it to dry. I didn't want to do that many
loads per day. I guess I could wait until it's really dirty to wash, but I
can't stand that. What do do if they want to eat and it's still wet?
Wiping down is definitely easier, IMO. Didn't take me all that long to do.

It took me
once. The floor mat I had wound up looking nasty with my first baby
when anything tomato-based landed on it, it got stained and those
didn't come out so it just looked dirty all of the time. lol.

I got the disposable floor mats, wiped them down, threw them out when they
were gross. Rosalie had the idea of old sheets. I think that's a good
idea. You can throw those in the wash.

toypup June 2nd 07 06:03 AM

Bibs that really work?

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 21:53:43 -0700, Chris wrote:

I betchya I have those Anne. lol. Somehow he still got food onto his
SHIRT underneath the models I've tried with the troughs. lol. @@ Funny
how standards change as time goes on and with number of children,
isn't it. lol. That IS the good thing about dinner time; just up and
out of the chair and into the tub. lol. Sometimes I need to feed him
his dinner in between a trip to the store and a trip to a soccer game
(games always occur at normal dinnertime so I have to feed him first
and he is in he do-it-myself stage). lol. He is getting less messy
though now at 19 months. Just certain things like rice dishes and
tomato dishes cause alarm. lol.

SIL just strips the kids down to the diapers to feed them, then wipes the
kids down. That works.

Nikki June 2nd 07 06:06 AM

Bibs that really work?

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone been successful in ever finding a bib that actually kept
food off of the babies pants?

No but I have one highchair that is terrible because the poor baby sits so
far away from the tray. The seat doesn't sit upright either. I hate that
chair, lol. It is hard to clean too. The other one is upright and I can
put the tray right up to the baby so much less gets on his lap.

I just use regular bibs but maybe an art smock would work for you. They are
long enough - the bottom could maybe come up and over the arm of the
highchair so nothing gets around it onto the seat? Similar to this....

http://www.tuffware.com/arts-crafts/paints/smock.html

You can get them without sleeves. My kid would probably not be to happy
about wearing it but ya never know!

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99