ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Breastfeeding and Cipro (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=56691)

[email protected] October 13th 07 02:38 AM

Breastfeeding and Cipro

Does anyone know if it is safe to take Cipro and still nurse? I have a
PSEUDOMONAS infection, and my daughter is 10 1/2 mos old. The
pediatrician told me to pump and dump, and my GYN told me to keep
nursing, that it was okay. My fam doc told me to pump and dump too. I
am just worried that my daughter will not want to nurse after 7 or so
days of being off the breast. I need help! I don't know what to do. I
planned to BF until she was 2 or so....

Thanks,
Confused in Baltimore

betsy October 13th 07 03:47 AM

Breastfeeding and Cipro

On Oct 12, 6:38 pm, wrote:
Does anyone know if it is safe to take Cipro and still nurse? I have a
PSEUDOMONAS infection, and my daughter is 10 1/2 mos old. The
pediatrician told me to pump and dump, and my GYN told me to keep
nursing, that it was okay. My fam doc told me to pump and dump too. I
am just worried that my daughter will not want to nurse after 7 or so
days of being off the breast. I need help! I don't know what to do. I
planned to BF until she was 2 or so....

Thanks,
Confused in Baltimore

It looks like it used to not be approved for use in breastfeeding
mothers, but now is. Dr. Hale's website says it is safe and has a
mention of it being approved by the AAP for use in breastfeeding
mothers in 2002.

You can also do a search for it on LactMed where it sounds OK.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

--Betsy