ParentingBanter.com

-   Child Support (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My Daddy Misses Me posters (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=51044)

John Meyer[_2_] May 15th 07 04:16 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

With the latest effort by the CSE in Virginia to track down low income
parents, I had an idea come to me as to how to counteract this. One of
the obstacles for a compatible list of "visitation violators" or
"parenting time purloiners" is the threat of a lawsuit for libel or
invasion of privacy, the things that interestingly enough the government
immunizes itself from.
Well, there are a couple of ways to prevent a lawsuit. The first is
to only put up posters of people who have flagrantly violated a court
order. This would have the advantage that it is backed up by a court
document, and therefore, qualified immunity applies. The only thing
that is bad with this, however, is that you would actually have to wait
for the courts to make this finding, and we all know how slow it is when
it comes to trivial issues like father's playing a role in their
children's lives other than "cash fund".
But libel law in the United States is rather generous in some other
ways. For instance, if the statement is a true opinion, you cannot be
sued for that. And a statement that says "My Daddy Misses Me" is just
that. The mother certainly isn't a psychic, and there's no way she can
make him testify against himself.
So what I came up with is a set of fliers labeled "My Daddy Misses Me"
that I'd love to distribute around or near the places propagating the
deadbeat lists. I've put up a mockup at
http://www.ncprevue.com/mydaddymissesme.pdf If anybody else has any
ideas about this, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

--
The NCP Revue -- http://www.ncprevue.com/blog

Gini May 15th 07 04:41 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

"John Meyer" wrote
With the latest effort by the CSE in Virginia to track down low income
parents, I had an idea come to me as to how to counteract this. One of
the obstacles for a compatible list of "visitation violators" or
"parenting time purloiners" is the threat of a lawsuit for libel or
invasion of privacy, the things that interestingly enough the government
immunizes itself from.

So what I came up with is a set of fliers labeled "My Daddy Misses Me"
that I'd love to distribute around or near the places propagating the
deadbeat lists. I've put up a mockup at
http://www.ncprevue.com/mydaddymissesme.pdf If anybody else has any
ideas about this, or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

==
John, This is an excellent idea!

John Meyer[_2_] May 15th 07 04:58 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

Gini wrote:
==
John, This is an excellent idea!

Now we need a plan to follow it up. Designing the poster isn't that
difficult (though if anybody has experience with DTP and particiularily
Scribus the help would be appreciated). The thing is going to be
gathering the names and pictures to put up on these posters. Although
we could do it nationwide, I'd like to focus the posters so that they
are more localized.

Gini May 15th 07 06:26 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

"John Meyer" wrote
Gini wrote:
==
John, This is an excellent idea!

Now we need a plan to follow it up. Designing the poster isn't that
difficult (though if anybody has experience with DTP and particiularily
Scribus the help would be appreciated). The thing is going to be
gathering the names and pictures to put up on these posters. Although
we could do it nationwide, I'd like to focus the posters so that they
are more localized.

==
Well, Bob is good with logistics and Ron is really creative so maybe they'll
have some suggestions for you.

Werebat May 15th 07 10:26 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

Gini wrote:
"John Meyer" wrote

Gini wrote:

==
John, This is an excellent idea!

Now we need a plan to follow it up. Designing the poster isn't that
difficult (though if anybody has experience with DTP and particiularily
Scribus the help would be appreciated). The thing is going to be
gathering the names and pictures to put up on these posters. Although
we could do it nationwide, I'd like to focus the posters so that they
are more localized.

==
Well, Bob is good with logistics and Ron is really creative so maybe they'll
have some suggestions for you.

Blush

I think this is a top-notch idea as well. I don't know much about
graphic design but I'll give it a think.

I've also had an idea in my head for a while about making little comic
books, like the sorts that Jack Chick produces for Christian
proselytizing. Again the problem is that I'm a better writer than an
artists, and comics need good pictures.

So, how to gather names and pictures?

Where is this going to be posted? I'm assuming you'll want local area
as much as possible, so which area is important.

Also, could there be legal repercussions for putting up pictures of
children (even one's own children for a NCP) in a public place? You
know the family courts will stoop as low as it takes.

I think I will take your idea to the local chapter of F4J (Rhode Island)
that just started up -- this might be something they would be interested
in doing. Can't really use my son though since I already have him half
the time.

- Ron ^*^

John Meyer[_2_] May 16th 07 04:08 AM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

Werebat wrote:

Gini wrote:
"John Meyer" wrote

Gini wrote:

==
[...]

That's something I am going to have to explore. I might try to do
something on the NCPRevue web site. We might have to filter out names
though through a background check. I hate to do it, but we really
wouldn't want this to come back and bite us in the ass.

Where is this going to be posted? I'm assuming you'll want local area
as much as possible, so which area is important.

I'd want to put these up in the same particular area that they are
putting up the "Deadbeat" posters. With the grocery stores, I could
envision finding out where these places are, then spreading out with
fliers and posting them on the windshields of cars.

Also, could there be legal repercussions for putting up pictures of
children (even one's own children for a NCP) in a public place? You
know the family courts will stoop as low as it takes.

I know that. Originally I was thinking about doing visitation
violators, but focusing on the CPs might lead to defamation unless you
are VERY careful about that. This way, they can't really complain. The
message is "my parent misses me" something that's almost impossible for
the other side to even disprove, as it is an emotion.
What I'd really like is to get parents with joint "legal" custody (now
that would be a laugh to use that term on our side for once) who are
being denied visitation.
Now, I am not a lawyer, I haven't even played one on TV. And in as bad
as some of them are, we may want to ask a lawyer, maybe one that
specializes in father's rights, would there be any sort of an invasion
of privacy with this just to be on the safe side.

Gini May 16th 07 04:21 AM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

"John Meyer" wrote

I'd want to put these up in the same particular area that they are
putting up the "Deadbeat" posters. With the grocery stores, I could
envision finding out where these places are, then spreading out with
fliers and posting them on the windshields of cars.

==
Nope. That could get you a littering fine.

Bob Whiteside May 16th 07 04:38 AM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

"Gini" wrote in message

"John Meyer" wrote

I'd want to put these up in the same particular area that they are
putting up the "Deadbeat" posters. With the grocery stores, I could
envision finding out where these places are, then spreading out with
fliers and posting them on the windshields of cars.

==
Nope. That could get you a littering fine.

The government officials protect themselves by getting other government
types to rule in their favor. When the local fathers rights group began
protesting with graphic signs in front of the local county courthouse
against specific domestic relationship judges, another judge ruled
protesters could not be on the public sidewalk with signs in front of the
courthouse. When the protests moved to the local city gathering public
square, another judge ruled those protests had to be limited in scope.

My experience is when anyone attempts to take on the judicial system
head-to-head the judicial system circles the wagons to resist the direct
assault on their authority and uses their internal resources to shut off
free speech.

John Meyer[_2_] May 16th 07 01:55 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

Gini wrote:
"John Meyer" wrote
I'd want to put these up in the same particular area that they are
putting up the "Deadbeat" posters. With the grocery stores, I could
envision finding out where these places are, then spreading out with
fliers and posting them on the windshields of cars.

==
Nope. That could get you a littering fine.

First off, I'd want to see what they are doing in terms of enforcing
that littering fine with anybody else who puts up those fliers
(restaurants, etc).

Trev May 16th 07 04:00 PM

My Daddy Misses Me posters

On May 15, 10:16 am, John Meyer wrote:
[...]

This is an AWESOME ideA! I LOVE it!

I am a father with three sons. I have joint legal custody and have
been involved in a 5 year long custody struggle. My Ex stopped
allowing me court ordered phone calls and every-other-weekend
visitation with my sons so I filed a petition to enforce placement
(this is the second time I've had to do this in less than 2 years). I
love the posters and would LOVE to see the look on her face if she saw
a poster in her local grocery store with my 3 sons' faces on it and
"We Miss Our Dad!" And honestly, I know they do.