ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   baby always wants to feed in public (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10180)

KC August 10th 03 08:46 AM

baby always wants to feed in public

Okay, bf is getting pretty darned good at home; it is not constant at
home anymore, but in public my dd always wants to feed. I think she
just wants the comfort of the nipple when she is in strange places,
but I still can't nurse on the move, so it's not feasible for her to
be latched on while we are shopping. There would be no shopping only
sitting :-) I've been pumping every morning and giving her a bottle
while we walk around, but I really don't want to pump that much. She
won't take a binky. Any suggestions to help her get over this need to
nurse constantly in public?

KC

CY August 10th 03 09:18 AM

baby always wants to feed in public

One word for you...sling! Once you get the hang of them (be patient, it can
take a couple weeks) they are a breeze to nurse in public in, IME. I
recently nursed my then 15 month old while walking around a very crowded zoo
and not a soul even glanced my way. Maya Wrap or Over The Shoulder Baby
Holder work well for us. YMMV, but that would be my solution rather than
stop her getting the comfort she wants by figuring out how to make her not
nurse - just figure out how you can nurse and still do stuff!
om...

iphigenia August 10th 03 04:17 PM

KC wrote:
Any suggestions to help her get over this need to
nurse constantly in public?

No, because you really can't change that. She's insecure away from home and
wants the comfort of sucking. She won't take a binky - will she take a pinky
finger?

The easiest factor to change, honestly, is you. : ) Get a sling or a front
carrier - you can nurse and walk. She may even decide that being snuggled up
to you is comfort enough without also nursing.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Beth August 11th 03 02:54 AM

"iphigenia" wrote in message
The easiest factor to change, honestly, is you. : ) Get a sling or a front
carrier - you can nurse and walk.

KC says that she's too full breasted to nurse and walk. I wear a DD bra and
at first found it difficult to nurse and walk with a sling, but just a
little practice made perfect. If a lot of twisting and bending needs to be
done, you can lift and/or immobilize the breast with a rolled up diaper.
Baby's head and the sling hide everything.

Beth

HollyLewis August 12th 03 12:50 AM

baby always wants to feed in public

One word for you...sling! Once you get the hang of them (be patient, it can
take a couple weeks) they are a breeze to nurse in public in, IME.

Even if you don't manage to nurse with her in a sling, she may not need to. If
it's a comfort thing, being close to you and wrapped snugly -- perhaps even
with her face hidden by the fabric -- will probably make her a lot happier in
strange places.

How do you hold her now while you shop? Maybe she just doesn't like the
stroller or whatever you're using.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs

Chookie August 13th 03 12:23 PM

baby always wants to feed in public

In article ,
(KC) wrote:

Okay, bf is getting pretty darned good at home; it is not constant at
home anymore, but in public my dd always wants to feed. I think she
just wants the comfort of the nipple when she is in strange places,

Very good guess, I think!

but I still can't nurse on the move, so it's not feasible for her to
be latched on while we are shopping. There would be no shopping only
sitting :-)

Perhaps, but what if the first thing you did was bf her? When DS is bfing due
to nervousness, he is only on for a few minutes before he calms down.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Al Bell August 14th 03 09:13 AM

(KC) writes:

Okay, bf is getting pretty darned good at home; it is not constant at
home anymore, but in public my dd always wants to feed. I think she
just wants the comfort of the nipple when she is in strange places,
but I still can't nurse on the move,

Why not practice at home with a nursing tshirt and a Maya Wrap? Even if
you can't get your daughter to nurse very well that way, maybe she'll
nurse well enough to get a little comfort food while you're walking
around.

Al Bell August 14th 03 09:25 AM

"Beth" writes:

"iphigenia" wrote in message
The easiest factor to change, honestly, is you. : ) Get a sling or a front
carrier - you can nurse and walk.

KC says that she's too full breasted to nurse and walk. I wear a DD bra and
at first found it difficult to nurse and walk with a sling, but just a

- Use the football hold (i.e., have baby lie around your side, rather than
your belly).

- Use one hand to hold the baby in the right position.

- Use your free hand for shopping, eating, etc.