ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Will Cheerios increase milk prod? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=11952)

nam0827 January 15th 04 10:33 AM

Will Cheerios increase milk prod?

hi.

sorry i forgot to ask this question in my earlier post. from reading here, it
is my understanding that oatmeal will increase breast milk production. since i
am not a big oatmeal fan, i am wondering if Cheerios would also work? also,
how much quantity are we talking, how many bowls per day, or oatmeal cookies
etc?

my dd nurses so frequently day and night that sometimes my breasts don't feel
"full" and she has a hard time latching on. i did not ever notice this problem
with my son. i would be most appreciative to hear any other things i could
take or eat to up my milk production, as i will be returning to work soon.

thanks to everybody. it is so nice to have this forum for support and advice.
in the community where i live, breastfeeding is the exception, not the norm. i
hear my little one again, so i will stop here.

thanx again.

rm

Dawn Lawson January 15th 04 05:21 PM

nam0827 wrote:

hi.

sorry i forgot to ask this question in my earlier post. from reading here, it
is my understanding that oatmeal will increase breast milk production. since i
am not a big oatmeal fan, i am wondering if Cheerios would also work?

I seriously doubt it. They're very processed, and aren't 100% oatmeal

A bowl of oatmeal in the morning is enough.
That's quite a few oatmeal cookies to get the equivalent, so the
associated fat and sugar might make that less than a great choice.

Dawn

iphigenia January 15th 04 09:24 PM

Dawn Lawson wrote:

I seriously doubt it. They're very processed, and aren't 100% oatmeal

Word - wheat is, IIRC, the first ingredient. Not the most oaty-riffic food
out there by a long shot.

A bowl of oatmeal in the morning is enough.
That's quite a few oatmeal cookies to get the equivalent, so the
associated fat and sugar might make that less than a great choice.

Though I've seen some oatmeal cookie recipes online that were pretty simple
and didn't have a lot of that. They usually had sugar, but hell, who's
eating bowls of oatmeal without putting sugar on it? The recipes I tried got
dry pretty quickly but weren't bad...

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Sara January 15th 04 10:25 PM

iphigenia wrote:

They usually had sugar, but hell, who's
eating bowls of oatmeal without putting sugar on it?

Meeeee, every day!

--
Sara, accompanied by the sleeping-through-the-night-oh-my-god barnacle

Lucy January 15th 04 11:32 PM

"Sara" wrote in message
iphigenia wrote:

They usually had sugar, but hell, who's
eating bowls of oatmeal without putting sugar on it?

Meeeee, every day!

Sara, accompanied by the sleeping-through-the-night-oh-my-god barnacle

Just read your sig and I'm so happy for you!!!!

Lucy

Larry McMahan January 16th 04 12:18 AM

nam0827 writes:
: hi.

: sorry i forgot to ask this question in my earlier post. from reading here, it
: is my understanding that oatmeal will increase breast milk production. since i
: am not a big oatmeal fan, i am wondering if Cheerios would also work? also,
: how much quantity are we talking, how many bowls per day, or oatmeal cookies
: etc?

Cheerios are processed and the first ingredient isn't even oats. One large
bowlful a day for breaskfast should be enough. I like it cooked as a porridge,
but Monika eats it uncooked with milk and chocolate power (bleh!).

Larry

Dawn Lawson January 16th 04 12:38 AM

Sara wrote:

iphigenia wrote:

They usually had sugar, but hell, who's
eating bowls of oatmeal without putting sugar on it?

Meeeee, every day!

Yup, and I don't use a cup of sugar to every cup of oatmeal, either, nor
even a half cup per cup.

Dawn

Michelle J. Haines January 16th 04 01:25 AM

Will Cheerios increase milk prod?

In article ,
says...

Cheerios are processed and the first ingredient isn't even oats. One large
bowlful a day for breaskfast should be enough. I like it cooked as a porridge,
but Monika eats it uncooked with milk and chocolate power (bleh!).

I used to eat a lot of oatmeal as a child, but I can't get it down
now. Since being pregnant, I'm much more sensitive to textures, and
it's texture makes me gag in a spectacular fashion.

For the OP, you might try oatmeal cookies.

Michelle
Flutist

--
Drift on a river, That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you

Sara January 16th 04 02:33 AM

Lucy wrote:

"Sara" wrote in message

Sara, accompanied by the sleeping-through-the-night-oh-my-god barnacle

Just read your sig and I'm so happy for you!!!!

Thank you! I'm so happy. Sleep: it's like taking Zoloft, but without
the teeth grinding...

Now we need to figure out how to get everyone in the correct bed. The
past week my husband and the barnacle are sleeping in the bed, and
I've been on an air mattress in the other room...

--
Sara, accompanied by the cribs-are-for-other-people barnacle

Sara January 16th 04 02:34 AM

Larry McMahan wrote:

Cheerios are processed and the first ingredient isn't even oats. One large
bowlful a day for breaskfast should be enough. I like it cooked as a
porridge,
but Monika eats it uncooked with milk and chocolate power (bleh!).

Eew. But I eat it uncooked with raisins and yoghurt, which I suppose
some people might find unappetizing.

--
Sara, accompanied by the 90%-yoghurt barnacle