ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Checking in (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=60088)

Pologirl January 6th 08 06:31 PM

Checking in

Hi All.

I know this group's traffic has fallen way off, leaving mostly spam
behind. But despair not. M.k.pregnancy and m.k both have picked up a
bit recently. I thought the traffic decline was in all Usenet
newsgroups, but that is not the case. Some newsgroups are as active
as ever.

Anyway, oldtimers here may remember Monkey Boy who weaned himself at 9
months. My second, Hungry Girl is still nursing at 15 months. Always
first thing in the morning, but most days she wants to nurse before
naps and bedtime and some days she wants to nurse after naps too.
Monkey Boy nursed up to 45 minutes every 1.5 hours or so, day and
night, so for the 9 months he was breastfed I accomplished nothing
much beyond survival (and NAK while I read news). Hungry Girl on the
other hand is a speedy nurser, who rarely takes longer than 10
minutes. MB would not switch sides, and I had constant problems with
letdown and leaking. HG will switch sides if she goes longer than 5
minutes, and I have not needed to use nursing pads for some months
now.

Oops, gotta go.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl

betsy January 6th 08 11:37 PM

Checking in

On Jan 6, 9:31 am, Pologirl wrote:
Anyway, oldtimers here may remember Monkey Boy who weaned himself at 9
months. My second, Hungry Girl is still nursing at 15 months. Always
first thing in the morning, but most days she wants to nurse before
naps and bedtime and some days she wants to nurse after naps too.
Monkey Boy nursed up to 45 minutes every 1.5 hours or so, day and
night, so for the 9 months he was breastfed I accomplished nothing
much beyond survival (and NAK while I read news). Hungry Girl on the
other hand is a speedy nurser, who rarely takes longer than 10
minutes. MB would not switch sides, and I had constant problems with
letdown and leaking. HG will switch sides if she goes longer than 5
minutes, and I have not needed to use nursing pads for some months
now.

Isn't it funny how different each one's nursing patterns are. My
first could nurse non-stop for hours and didn't usually switch sides,
at least not until I was pregnant and my milk supply went down. I
didn't get much done.

My second nursed for 5 minutes at a time, and did switch sides. He
was very high maintenance, rolling over at 4 weeks, running well
before he was 1, riding a trike all over the place by 18 months. I
didn't get much done.

My third nursed well in the sling, starting when she was 1 day old. I
could do most things, except for driving of course, while she nursed.
I volunteered in a classroom while she nursed discretely in the
sling. I took the kids to the pool almost every day during her first
summer. She nursed in the sling while I held my son as he paddled and
kicked.

I'm hoping my next, due in 5 weeks, will nurse like my third.

--Betsy