ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids) (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10711)

Dagny September 23rd 03 10:56 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

"ted" wrote in message
om...
From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices? Are
there any additives in these I need to be avoid? What brands and what
kinds (apple, pear etc) do you give your babies?

Thanks.

Rant starts.

Fruit juice for babies is IMHO completely a marketing gimmick to sell juice
at a rediculous price. IMHO the same goes for all baby foods; there are
suitable non-baby choices at a much lower price point across the board, if
you are willing to mash or grind. Continuing my off topic rant, making
parents think they should confidently feed their kid "baby food" they are
really undermining the nutrition the kid might get if the parent gave it
another thought. Few of us would believe a diet where all our vegetables
are cooked into oblivion and then canned is as nutritious as one where we
use fresh or frozen. So what the heck? Baby food should be seen as a
convenience item only.

If you are concerned about the additives put into bottled adult juice "to
preserve freshness" then buy either frozen concentrate or refrigerated.
Those mostly just add vitamins. You will save a lot of money. The main
additive I would be concerned with is added sugar. Fruit juice is one big
sugar fest as it is.

I would avoid raw juices in young children unless you juiced it yourself, so
that you won't have to worry about food poisoning.

Rant ends.

-- Dagny

Circe September 23rd 03 11:03 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

"ted" wrote in message
om...
From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices? Are
there any additives in these I need to be avoid? What brands and what
kinds (apple, pear etc) do you give your babies?

You can start giving juice any time after introducing the corresponding
whole fruits (so you wouldn't want to give juice of allergenic fruits like
oranges or strawberries until after age one). That said, fruit juice is
little more than vitamin-fortified sugar water, it's *very* bad for teeth
(the acids in fruit juice can really do a number!), and the whole fruit is
considerably more nutritious. Given that, there's really no good reason to
introduce juice at all--it's better to give them water so they get used to
drinking that when they are thirsty and give them whole fruits to eat
instead.
--
Be well, Barbara -- whose daughter just had the last of 8 fillings due to
being a juice-a-holic as a toddler

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Dawn Lawson September 23rd 03 11:25 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

ted wrote:

From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices?

Pft.....as soon as you decide you have other things to spend your money on.

Just get 100% real juice, not "made with 100% real juice" read the
label, it should basically say "juice"

Dawn, shaking her head over the whole baby food industry

Dawn Lawson September 23rd 03 11:28 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Dawn Lawson wrote:

ted wrote:

From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices?

Pft.....as soon as you decide you have other things to spend your money on.

Just get 100% real juice, not "made with 100% real juice" read the
label, it should basically say "juice"

Dawn, shaking her head over the whole baby food industry

And following on my own post to say "but why does your 6.5 mo NEED juice
now or soon anyhow????? She doesn't. Give her water, or even better,
EBM. Why grow your own sugar junkie? Juice is a treat or occasional
drink when she gets older (DS is just starting to get a bit here and
there at 12.5mo, and that's fine by me)

Dawn

DeliciousTruffles September 24th 03 12:20 AM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Circe wrote:

ted wrote:

From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices? Are
there any additives in these I need to be avoid? What brands and what
kinds (apple, pear etc) do you give your babies?

You can start giving juice any time after introducing the corresponding
whole fruits (so you wouldn't want to give juice of allergenic fruits like
oranges or strawberries until after age one). That said, fruit juice is
little more than vitamin-fortified sugar water, it's *very* bad for teeth
(the acids in fruit juice can really do a number!), and the whole fruit is
considerably more nutritious. Given that, there's really no good reason to
introduce juice at all--it's better to give them water so they get used to
drinking that when they are thirsty and give them whole fruits to eat
instead.

Ditto.

Mine are almost 2 yo and have never had juice.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

DeliciousTruffles September 24th 03 12:37 AM

Dawn Lawson wrote:

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Mine are almost 2 yo and have never had juice.

Obviously your mother lives some distance away? ;-)

LOL! :-D Actually, that would be MIL. She tried to give them sips of
beer at 16 months.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Sharon Bailey Glasco September 24th 03 02:57 AM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

"Circe" wrote in message news:Wp3cb.1258$hp5.12@fed1read04...
"ted" wrote in message
om...
From what point can babies be given regular "adult" fruit juices? Are
there any additives in these I need to be avoid? What brands and what
kinds (apple, pear etc) do you give your babies?

You can start giving juice any time after introducing the corresponding
whole fruits (so you wouldn't want to give juice of allergenic fruits like
oranges or strawberries until after age one). That said, fruit juice is
little more than vitamin-fortified sugar water, it's *very* bad for teeth
(the acids in fruit juice can really do a number!), and the whole fruit is
considerably more nutritious. Given that, there's really no good reason to
introduce juice at all--it's better to give them water so they get used to
drinking that when they are thirsty and give them whole fruits to eat
instead.

Very good advice. The only exception to this that I would add is that
if your child is allergic to dairy products (as mine is) calcium
fortified orange juice is a godsend. It is one of the few sources of
calcium that DS will willingly consume (an even then, he refused to
drink it, or any juice for that matter, until he was 2 1/2). That
said, he only gets 4-5 oz. first thing in the morning, and no more the
rest of the day (unless he is sick). In general, he prefers water to
anything else, fortunately.

Sharon
Mom to James 6.2.00
EDD #2 5 December

Dawn Lawson September 24th 03 05:23 AM

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Dawn Lawson wrote:

DeliciousTruffles wrote:

Mine are almost 2 yo and have never had juice.

Obviously your mother lives some distance away? ;-)

LOL! :-D Actually, that would be MIL. She tried to give them sips of
beer at 16 months.

ya know, weirdly, I'd be ok with that. Gripe water (yes, I know, it
comes without alcohol now) is/was 3% alcohol.
A sip of juice wouldn't bother me either.
It's the constant pressure to *fill* him a bottle of juice, or even
weirder, watered down juice or punch. (and the comment when I gave him a
bit of digestive biscuit and a sippy of water "oh, there, he's set now
with his bread and water") WHY teach him to expect colored sweetened
water, or juice? *I* don't drink juice, eat candy, have dessert every
meal, etc....

A sip from a grownup cup just seems different to me, a flavor experience
(and yes, if it were beer that wouldn't make me crazy.)

*g* But I respect your right to froth at your MIL ;-))

Dawn, obviously completely nuts.

P.S....speaking of limiting sugar intake...anyone with an insulin
resistant kid? Mine's got darker skin under his arms.....AN? Dr looked
and said not a problem, but as I am (*yay*) going to my beloved RE
tomorrow, I will show her. (RE will take me back as I have PCOS, even
if I am not in the running for TTC#2)

(Babble, babble.....guess who's over tired?)

Naomi Pardue September 24th 03 02:25 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

Fruit juice for babies is IMHO completely a marketing gimmick to sell juice
at a rediculous price.

Actually, I found the little bottles to be very handy for tossing in the diaper
bag when we were going out. Much more conventient, and less wasteful, than
putting in a whole half gallon jug of OJ...

IMHO the same goes for all baby foods; there are
suitable non-baby choices at a much lower price point across the board, if
you are willing to mash or grind.

But again, not so conveneint. Many people are entirely willing to pay a small
premium for convenience, whether it is for food for our baby OR for ourselves.
(And, esp. when you are feeding a very young baby, who still needs to be on a
fairly limited diet [due to the need to add new foods one at a time for several
days to watch for allergies] it really ISN"T so convenient to just toss your
own dinner in the grinder and feed it to the baby -- and yeah, you can cook up
a batch of carrots, freeze them in the ice cube tray -- but then if you find
that baby doesn't like carrots, or is allergic, you've wasted a lot of time and
effort. Why *not* just buy a jar of baby carrots, see if baby likes them and
can tolerate them, and then, if he does, by all means cook up some yourself.

Few of us would believe a diet where all our vegetables
are cooked into oblivion and then canned is as nutritious as one where we
use fresh or frozen.

Evidence that baby foods are 'cooked into oblivion' before being pureed and
jarred?
Yeah, frozen is probably fresher, but, unless you grow your own veggies, the
stuff in the jars is probably actually fresher than the veggies that have been
sitting on your grocery store shelves for several days/weeks.

Baby food should be seen as a
convenience item only.

Right. It is. And since most babies are only on it for a few months anyway,
why not go with the convenience, IF YOU CHOOSE for those few short months, and
then move on. The total different in grocery cost is going to be negligible.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)

ted September 24th 03 03:10 PM

fruit juices for babies versus adults ( solids)

And following on my own post to say "but why does your 6.5 mo NEED juice
now or soon anyhow????? She doesn't. Give her water, or even better,
EBM. Why grow your own sugar junkie? Juice is a treat or occasional
drink when she gets older (DS is just starting to get a bit here and
there at 12.5mo, and that's fine by me)

Dawn

I guess I didn't ask my question completely. I was wondering earlier
(in another post) about what else I can use to mix solids with other
than my breastmilk. I have no intention to give her bottles of juice.
I'm not a big fan of juice myself. Hence I was thinking if I can mix
her solids with a little bit of juice for variety. I puree all her
foods but still they are kinda hard. So I need something to make it
liquidy. there's no guarantee that she eats her solids so I don't want
to mix breastmilk only to throw it away.

Thanks.