ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   weight loss during pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4266)

Elaine September 21st 03 03:16 PM

weight loss during pregnancy

At what point in a pregnancy do you start to worry about weight
loss? I know that the generic answer is eat to hunger and drink
to thirst and don't worry about it, just like it's feed a breast-
fed baby on demand. But at some point babies have failure to
thrive, and at some point weight loss must be worth worrying about.

I'm 5'2" and started this pregnancy at 170lb, which was
fairly overweight. I'm 11 (12?) weeks pregnant, and down to
159. I'm eating to hunger and then some, and drinking to thirst,
I get my vitamins every day, and I've got no morning
sickness to speak of. This week alone I've lost 2lb, and it's
not scale fluctuations. My diet is pretty varied, if heavy
on meats and fresh fruits and veggies.

While this is a great way to finish losing weight, when should
I worry and starting drinking carnation instant breakfast
milkshakes? I'm not worried about it yet, but I probably
will start to worry in another 5lb or so, especially if
the rate of loss continues like this.

Elaine the magical shrinking pregnant woman

Anne Rogers September 21st 03 05:39 PM

weight loss during pregnancy

I definitely wouldn't worry yet, weight gain is much more important in the
2nd and 3rd trimesters. Weight loss without morning sickness is not
unusual, I think it's because the baby uses what you eat to grow and you
have to use up what you have stored. As you have no concerns about being
too light, I'd just consider it a lucky bonus.

[...]

-----------
Anne Rogers

Valerie Rake September 21st 03 06:11 PM

Anne Rogers wrote:

I definitely wouldn't worry yet, weight gain is much more important in the
2nd and 3rd trimesters. Weight loss without morning sickness is not
unusual, I think it's because the baby uses what you eat to grow and you
have to use up what you have stored. As you have no concerns about being
too light, I'd just consider it a lucky bonus.

I second this. I started out heavier than you (though I'm taller, so
..... ). I'm 31 weeks and so far have only gained 10 pounds net, using
the same sort of eat-and-drink philosophy you have. I asked my OB about
it at my last visit and since baby seems fine, she said not to worry
about it. I lost some at the beginning, gained later on, and have held
steady or lost in the past month. Kind of freaky; a friend yesterday
even said my face looks thinner.

Valerie

Ericka Kammerer September 21st 03 07:31 PM

Elaine wrote:

[...]

Honestly, I don't think you need to worry at all
yet. It might even be until around 20 weeks before
things start to turn around for you weight-wise. The
only concern with weight loss is if you're not getting
enough nutrients to nourish yourself and the baby. If
you are eating well, that should be no problem I suppose
there could be a problem if your understanding of what
to eat is so skewed that eating to hunger isn't providing
you with enough nutrients, but I suspect that's unlikely.
If you want some reassurance, a book like Bridget Swinney's
_Eating Expectantly_ might be a good investment, as she
gives you specifics on how much of what sorts of things
you ought to be eating to provide what you and your baby
need. As long as you're getting those things, weight
loss shouldn't be a problem. Also, as the weeks go
by they'll be able to ascertain that the baby seems
to be growing well too, and that will give you some
reassurance. When you start a pregnancy overweight,
it's not uncommon to lose like this in the first
trimester and even part way through the second trimester.
Don't worry--you *will* start gaining eventually ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Michelle Podnar September 21st 03 08:55 PM

weight loss during pregnancy

I am not too sure about loosing weight, but I didn't gain any weight at all
in my pregnancy until almost mid way through it (20 weeks or so). I am 5'6"
and weighed 182 at the start, and at 20 weeks I was 185. I also didn't show
at all until after 6 weeks. I guess that they was enough of me to live off
of for the first while, as well as conceal the pregnancy.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the fundal height is measuring about
right, and the OB/Dr is concerned.

--
Michelle P
Ava Marie July 14, 2002

Elaine September 22nd 03 03:32 AM

weight loss during pregnancy

In article lZsbb.544772$uu5.90820@sccrnsc04, Carol Ann wrote:
What has your ob/gyn said?

Well, on the midwife's scale I lost 8lb between my 6 week visit
and my 10 week visit. She said "you'll have to start eating more."
She didn't seem terribly concerned, and while I haven't had
morning sickness, I have had food aversions. She seemed to be
of the mind that they would pass, and I would start eating more.
They've passed, and I'm still losing.

I'm not terribly worried, just low on energy. My husband was
starting to get nervous - now I can tell him to hush, that
I'm just fine.

Elaine

Ilse Witch September 22nd 03 02:25 PM

Elaine wrote:

I'm 5'2" and started this pregnancy at 170lb, which was
fairly overweight. I'm 11 (12?) weeks pregnant, and down to
159. I'm eating to hunger and then some, and drinking to thirst,
I get my vitamins every day, and I've got no morning
sickness to speak of. This week alone I've lost 2lb, and it's
not scale fluctuations. My diet is pretty varied, if heavy
on meats and fresh fruits and veggies.

In my case the cause of weight loss was an overactive thyroid,
which started during the first trimester. I lost almost 20lb
before I was tested, since other symptoms were masked by normal
pregnancy symptoms. If I were you, I'd have it tested, it's a
simple blood test, and the condition is safely treated during
pregnancy by taking medicine.

Don't worry about the baby, your body will make sure (s)he
gets what (s)he needs first, you will be the one to suffer from
any malnutrition, although it sounds like you are on a pretty
healty diet.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (14m)

Jill September 27th 03 01:32 AM

"Elaine" wrote in message
At what point in a pregnancy do you start to worry about weight
loss?

In first trimester I wouldn't worry. I sound similar to you...I have lost
about 8 pounds from my prepregnancy weight. I DO worry about the fact that I
don't vomit a lot but I am ALWAYS sickly queasy and can barely eat food, it
makes my stomach rollover. I really really pick and whatever I can manage to
eat...and it's not been the healthiest of foods. I worry about that but am
taking my vitamin........I worry a little, but I think for me I won't worry
until 1- I lose a lot more than 8 pounds and 2-I don't start gaining in the
second trimester, or I continue to be unable to eat.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I asked around in a panic but everyone
says it's normal to lose at first ...I should be better off, according to
those know claim to know, because I am NOT vomiting and therefore keeping
down what little I do manage to eat which is better than throwing everything
up and getting dehydrated. Just be sure to drink plenty of water, take your
vitamins, I think you will do great. But mention it to your doctor who I am
sure is checking your weight at each visit, and she will tell you if there
is a concern.
Good luck and best wishes!
Jill

Sidheag McCormack September 27th 03 01:38 PM

Jill writes:

But mention it to your doctor who I am sure is checking your weight at
each visit, and she will tell you if there is a concern.

Just a quick comment that around here (UK) it no longer seems standard to
check weight at every visit, or indeed at all. My midwife says that they
don't do it because it doesn't give useful information (and can cause a lot
of unnecessary worry for women who think they should follow "the standard"
pattern). The woman knows whether she is finding it possible to eat well or
not, and also knows whether she has a lot of swelling or not, so it is
better to ask directly about those things. Just so no-one thinks they're
getting substandard care if their provider is not checking their weight -
of course I second the idea of mentioning anything worrying.

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th

Elaine September 29th 03 04:36 PM

In article , Jill wrote:

"Elaine" wrote in message
At what point in a pregnancy do you start to worry about weight
loss?

I worry a little, but I think for me I won't worry
until 1- I lose a lot more than 8 pounds and 2-I don't start gaining in the
second trimester, or I continue to be unable to eat.

Yeah, I'm in pretty much exactly the same boat. I'm 13 weeks today, and
down 12lb now. On the bright side, I can tolerate veggies again. However,
I still can't eat protein before 2-3pm, and I can't handle anything
greasy. Leftovers are also pretty forbidden, which makes feeding me much
harder. I'm hoping to start gaining in the next couple of months, but
given the rate that my belly seems to be growing, I'm not too worried
about it.

My husband still worries though, which has it's advantages. He'll
fix me a snack of pretty much anything I want, whenever I want it.

Elaine