ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is my baby constipated? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=65705)

James Egan May 4th 09 04:32 AM

Is my baby constipated?

My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day. Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Me Myself and I[_4_] May 4th 09 05:17 AM

Is my baby constipated?

He's not constipated. He's just getting used to the feeling of faecal
matter moving through his bowel.

--
Pip, in NZ

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - March 02 - 4lb 12oz
7 now and such a treasure.

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - Feb 05 - 3lb 14oz
4 now and so grown up :)

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"

Jeff May 5th 09 12:15 AM

Is my baby constipated?

James Egan wrote:
My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day. Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Gee, I strain and stuff when I poop, too.

This sounds normal, but check with you doc.

Jeff

Jeff May 5th 09 04:11 AM

Is my baby constipated?

James Egan wrote:
My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day. Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Gee, I strain and stuff when I poop, too.

This sounds normal, but check with you doc.

Jeff

Do you cry too?

No! But I do make funny faces. ;-)

Welches May 5th 09 11:56 AM

Is my baby constipated?

"James Egan" wrote in message
My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day. Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Sounds normal. 3 or 4 minutes isn't long for that. Baby I looked after who
did get constipated would go purple and could be 15+ minutes. Also he'd only
produce what looked like single rabbit droppings after that.
Debbie

Clisby[_2_] May 5th 09 06:31 PM

Is my baby constipated?

Welches wrote:
"James Egan" wrote in message
My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day. Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Sounds normal. 3 or 4 minutes isn't long for that. Baby I looked after who
did get constipated would go purple and could be 15+ minutes. Also he'd only
produce what looked like single rabbit droppings after that.
Debbie

I thought the consistency was the main thing. If the poop is soft, the
kid isn't constipated - no matter how long it takes.

Clisby

Welches May 7th 09 11:59 AM

Is my baby constipated?

"Clisby" wrote in message
Welches wrote:
"James Egan" wrote in message
My 7 week old son seems to have a rough time when he poops! He clenches
his fist, turns red in the face, makes assorted straining noises, and
cries. Poor little guy! This goes on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then he
seems OK, and we know to change him. He normally poops twice per day.
Is
this normal? We're going to discuss it with the pediatrician this week.

-Thanks

Sounds normal. 3 or 4 minutes isn't long for that. Baby I looked after
who did get constipated would go purple and could be 15+ minutes. Also
he'd only produce what looked like single rabbit droppings after that.
Debbie

I thought the consistency was the main thing. If the poop is soft, the
kid isn't constipated - no matter how long it takes.

Yes, I'd agree, but that was what seemed to be worrying the OP so I was
answering that.
Debbie