ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Am I risking it? (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7817)

ted May 18th 04 08:41 PM

Am I risking it?

What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched :(

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

Jacqui May 18th 04 08:49 PM

Am I risking it?

ted wibbled

What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I
absolutely love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few
languages.

What can you find? All I can see is a vague "Ancient Malwa" (wassat?)
in Hindi and "forward, advanced" in Italian. And I'd steer clear of
that because it was the name of Mussolini's fascist newspaper.

I think it's a lovely word but I wouldn't use it for a name. My 2p.

Jac

PattyMomVA May 18th 04 08:51 PM

Am I risking it?

"ted" wrote and I snipped:
What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

My SD's best friend is named Avanti. Her family is from India. She's a
very intelligent, sweet girl, and I think it's a pretty name.

BTW, my SD, a freshman in high school, has many friends with unusual (to
me), ethnic names. She doesn't seem to find them strange at all and just
takes them in stride. Sometimes the kids are given nicknames, such as the
boy named Salman who they call "Fish" but not to tease.

Take care,
-Patty, mom to Corinne (6y) and Nathan (nearly 4y!)
and stepmom to Victoria (14y)

Sara May 18th 04 09:08 PM

Am I risking it?

ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it? It could always be worse -- I knew a woman named
Buick.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

Sophie May 18th 04 09:10 PM

Am I risking it?

"Sara" wrote in message
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it? It could always be worse -- I knew a woman named
Buick.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

My first thought was - it sounds like a car. Sorry.

Circe May 18th 04 09:13 PM

Am I risking it?

Sara wrote:
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much like
the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not sure everyone would
hear it that way. They might think the same about Aurora!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Sophie May 18th 04 09:21 PM

Am I risking it?

"Circe" wrote in message
Sara wrote:
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it?

So is Aurora, but I think it's a terrific name g!

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much like
the name of a product and not of a person. But I'm not sure everyone would
hear it that way. They might think the same about Aurora!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion of that
town, I just know there is one with that name.

Sabine May 18th 04 09:24 PM

Am I risking it?

"Sara" wrote in message
ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it? It could always be worse -- I knew a woman named
Buick.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

It's a condom brand:) Is a car better/ worse?

--
Sabine

Clisby May 18th 04 09:32 PM

Am I risking it?

Sophie wrote:
"Sara" wrote in message

ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it? It could always be worse -- I knew a woman named
Buick.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

My first thought was - it sounds like a car. Sorry.

That's exactly what I thought.

Clisby

Fer May 18th 04 10:14 PM

Am I risking it?

ted wrote:
|| What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
|| love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.
|| Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I
|| wish I hadn't searched :(
|| Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
|| her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?
|| Thanks.

-It is pretty but here in canada it is a brand of cigarettes.-?

Jenn
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-34 weeks!