ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   "Baby on board" signs (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=6869)

J Asking March 18th 04 10:32 AM

"Baby on board" signs

Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

Linz March 18th 04 11:10 AM

"Baby on board" signs

On 18 Mar 2004 02:32:23 -0800, (J Asking)
wrote:

Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

That was the original purpose, I believe. However, I suspect everyone
ignores them now because so many people leave them in the car when
there are no children in it.

Bloke keeps saying he's going to make a sign to go on the carseat
saying "not in use" in case he's ever in an RTA and the paramedics
start looking for the occupant of the empty seat.
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 16lbs 6oz

Vicky Bilaniuk March 18th 04 11:32 AM

"Baby on board" signs

wrote:

Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

That was the original purpose, I believe. However, I suspect everyone
ignores them now because so many people leave them in the car when
there are no children in it.

Really? The ones I've seen are just stuck onto windows, and surely
wouldn't continue to be in the same spot after an accident. They
wouldn't be able to tell which car it came from! ;-)

Bloke keeps saying he's going to make a sign to go on the carseat
saying "not in use" in case he's ever in an RTA and the paramedics
start looking for the occupant of the empty seat.

What a good idea!

Kim R. March 18th 04 12:01 PM

"Baby on board" signs

On a side note, the local Health Department recently told me parents should
use a permanent marker to write their child's name, birthday, allergies, etc
on the side of the car seat that is beside the door. That way, if there
were an accident and the parent was unconscious, the rescue workers have
basic information on the baby. I thought that was a great idea.

Kim R.

om...

Linz March 18th 04 12:27 PM

"Baby on board" signs

wrote:

Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

That was the original purpose, I believe. However, I suspect everyone
ignores them now because so many people leave them in the car when
there are no children in it.

Really? The ones I've seen are just stuck onto windows, and surely
wouldn't continue to be in the same spot after an accident. They
wouldn't be able to tell which car it came from! ;-)

Yup, people stick them on the window (it seems for a lot of parents to
be obligatory - you get a car, you get a baby, you get a baby-onboard
sticker, you don't think about what it's for) and don't consider
whether it's in a useful place or whether the baby is actually in the
car.

Bloke keeps saying he's going to make a sign to go on the carseat
saying "not in use" in case he's ever in an RTA and the paramedics
start looking for the occupant of the empty seat.

What a good idea!

He'll get around to it shortly after YoungBloke graduates to not
needing a car seat!
--
Linz
YB: 5 months, 16lbs 6oz

ted March 18th 04 02:53 PM

"Baby on board" signs

(J Asking) wrote in message . com...
Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

It may be the original intent but I look at those signs as if the
driver is saying "I have a baby in the car. So don't bother me if I'm
driving too slow"

Plissken March 18th 04 04:09 PM

"Baby on board" signs

"ted" wrote in message
om...
| (J Asking) wrote in message
. com...
| Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
| alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
| the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?
|
| It may be the original intent but I look at those signs as if the
| driver is saying "I have a baby in the car. So don't bother me if I'm
| driving too slow"

That's what I take these signs to mean.

Nadene

Silvasurfa March 18th 04 04:43 PM

"Baby on board" signs

(J Asking) wrote in message . com...
Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

I always figured they were invented to give young macho men something
to bring if they ever get invited to a baby shower... hey, it is car
related, it isn't covered in pastel anthropomorphised animals and who
cares if it is a useless piece of crap the parents don't really need?

Or maybe the baby on board signs are more about the "look at me!"
tendency that makes people put bumper stickers on their car that
proclaim what football team they support, what breed of dog they
prefer and what political party they vote for. And the same sort of
tendency that makes some people have gushy live journals where they
publicly share the details of their ordinary existance.

toypup March 18th 04 07:07 PM

"Baby on board" signs

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

I never thought of them as anything other than a cute sign that says the
driver has a baby in the car.

Dagny March 18th 04 07:26 PM

"Baby on board" signs

"J Asking" wrote in message
om...
Is it true that the purpose of "Baby on board" signs on cars is to
alert rescue and medical personnel that an infant is in the car, in
the event the driver of that car causes a serious accident?

Homer: Baby on board,
Something, something, Burt Ward...

-- Dagny