ParentingBanter.com

-   General (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sneezing out loud and other "bad habits" (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23355)

Nan October 4th 04 06:18 PM

On 4 Oct 2004 10:20:46 -0700, (ted) scribbled:

I sneeze very loud. I just can't help it. If I stuff a big bathtowel
on my face then may be I can muffle the sound a bit. All my life I got
teased and ridiculed and lectured about this "bad habit". I'm worried
that my kids will pick up this habit from me. Is it possible not to
sneeze so loud because believe me I tried, I just can't muffle the
sound.

got to go, baby just woke up.

My grandpa would sneeze loud enough to make me jump when I was at the
other end of the house.
Afaic, it's an involuntary response, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Nan

Marie October 4th 04 06:39 PM

On 4 Oct 2004 10:20:46 -0700, (ted) wrote:
I sneeze very loud. I just can't help it. If I stuff a big bathtowel
on my face then may be I can muffle the sound a bit. All my life I got
teased and ridiculed and lectured about this "bad habit". I'm worried
that my kids will pick up this habit from me. Is it possible not to
sneeze so loud because believe me I tried, I just can't muffle the
sound.

Uh, how is this a bad habit? Some people are loud and some aren't. I'd
rather hear big loud ACHOO than a little squeaky sneeze lol I don't
really think there's much you can do about sneezing manners, besides
covering your mouth/nose and washing your hands afterwards.
Marie

newfy.1 October 4th 04 08:47 PM

"ted" wrote in message
om...
I sneeze very loud. I just can't help it. If I stuff a big bathtowel
on my face then may be I can muffle the sound a bit. All my life I got
teased and ridiculed and lectured about this "bad habit". I'm worried
that my kids will pick up this habit from me. Is it possible not to
sneeze so loud because believe me I tried, I just can't muffle the
sound.

As long as you cover your mouth and nose, I don't see what the problem is.

JennP.

Catherine Woodgold October 8th 04 05:36 PM

I find that if I (gently, appropriately) blow my nose
with a handkerchief, the urge to sneeze goes away.

If I don't get to the handkerchief in time, I sneeze
loudly. If I make it in time, I don't sneeze at all -- I just blow.

I'm not sure, but I think if I try to sneeze more quietly,
it comes out louder!!! (Maybe I hold it in for half a
second so there's more force to it when it happens.)

Sometimes I moan loudly right after sneezing. I'm not sure
whether I could control that or not.

I also scream when I accidentally drop things, especially
knives or things that might break. Again, I'm not sure
if I could control that.

Vitamin C helps with colds so you don't need to sneeze
as much. Controlling dust and stuff helps with allergies.
Changing the sheets, washing them in hot enough water to
control dust mites, etc.
--
Cathy