ParentingBanter.com

-   Pregnancy (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   baby names (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25326)

[email protected] December 6th 04 07:12 PM

baby names

Does anyone know the meaning of the name "kunal"

V. December 6th 04 07:48 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know the meaning of the name "kunal"

Take a look at: http://www.dosima.org/forenames/Kunal.htm
also http://www.hindunet.org/wwwboard/mea...sages/110.html

Basically, it's a male Hindu name that may mean "lotus flower".

Tori M. December 6th 04 07:57 PM

hmm interesting.. I could not find a meaning for it in my search.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Xavier 10/27/04
"V." wrote in message

ups.com...

Carol Ann December 6th 04 08:10 PM

Meaning: Lotus in Sanskrit. This was the name of the son of Emperor Ashoka.

Kunal (Kunaal) A devotee of Vishnu

Many sites just say it has no meaning.

Are you going to name your son Kunal?

Carol Ann

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know the meaning of the name "kunal"

[email protected] December 6th 04 08:54 PM

We are of Indian origan living in the US. And we would like to have an
Indian name that is easy to pronounce and yet have a significant
meaning. So we are looking at names like :Rohit,Rohan,Neil,Navin,
Nikhil, Kunal and Karan (some of the names we are leaning towards)

Let me know what you think :)

Carol Ann wrote:
Meaning: Lotus in Sanskrit. This was the name of the son of Emperor

Ashoka.

Kunal (Kunaal) A devotee of Vishnu

Many sites just say it has no meaning.

Are you going to name your son Kunal?

Carol Ann

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know the meaning of the name "kunal"

Daye December 7th 04 09:12 PM

On 6 Dec 2004 12:54:02 -0800, wrote:

We are of Indian origan living in the US. And we would like to have an
Indian name that is easy to pronounce and yet have a significant
meaning. So we are looking at names like :Rohit,Rohan,Neil,Navin,
Nikhil, Kunal and Karan (some of the names we are leaning towards)

I like Rohan and Navin. My DD has an Indian origin name: Jayan. We
pronounce it Jay Anne, but I love the name and the spelling. I think
Indians pronounce it Jai-an. Either way, it is an easy name to spell
and say.

Jayan can be for a girl or a boy. It means Victory. The male Jayan
is from the root name Jay (which I think comes for Shiva). The female
is from the root name Jaya (which is another name for Durga).

Just a suggestion! For other suggestions, I found some links of
Indian names:

http://www.indiaparenting.com/names/index.shtml (this has a section
for Indian names that can be pronounced by foreigners)
http://www.indiaexpress.com/specials/babynames/

--
Daye
Mommy to:

Unadulterated Me December 7th 04 11:02 PM

wrote:

Rohan,Neil

Neil and Rohan are Indian names? I can see how maybe the same Rohan
spelling as the celtic one could be also Indian but Neil?

Andrea

Iuil December 7th 04 11:40 PM

"Unadulterated Me" wrote

Rohan,Neil

Neil and Rohan are Indian names? I can see how maybe the same Rohan
spelling as the celtic one could be also Indian but Neil?

Well Neil as a Celtic name is actually an anglicisation of Niall which is
pronounced as Neil in Gaelic linguistics.

And the Celtic Rowan is spelled with the W in the middle, not an H. I've
seen Rohan as an Indian name before.

Jean

---

Missy Me December 9th 04 11:04 AM

In article says...
Does anyone know the meaning of the name "kunal"

sorry - but it sounds like something i'd put "farque" before.