ParentingBanter.com

-   Breastfeeding (http://www.parentingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gina Ford and Mumsnet (http://www.parentingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=43994)

[email protected] August 9th 06 01:09 PM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

Clip of statement from Mumsnet on the Mumsnet/Gina Ford 'libel'
allegations issue.

Full text he http://www.mumsnet.com/ginaford/state08082006.html

Clip begins:
The parenting website, Mumsnet, last night responded to allegations by
parenting guru Gina Ford that a posting on the site claiming she:
"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon" was "a
serious and very offensive libel".

In a statement, Justine Roberts, co-founder of Mumsnet said: "It is
undoubtedly a tasteless joke, particularly under current circumstances,
but when the post appeared on our site no-one imagined even the most
humourless reader could possibly take it seriously. But evidently we
were wrong."

Earlier in the day, "MorningPaper", the mother who sparked the internet
libel row with her posting about Ms Ford, wrote an apology on the
community website, which is used by 250,000 mothers every month.

She said: "I apologise profusely to any childcare guru that I may have
offended by suggesting that they are involved in military action in
Lebanon and her followers for suggesting that she/they strap their
babies to weapons of mass destruction. I have read her book many times
and I can confirm that this IS NOT suggested as part of any childcare
guru's recommended routine.

I apologise to any new mums who may have been confused by my post and
would advise that if you are considering utilising your baby in any
sort of warfare or military conflict, please speak to your health
visitor first." Last night Mark Stephens, the lawyer acting for Mumsnet
said: "The fact that lawyers are even involved in a discussion about
something which is manifestly a silly joke highlights just how
completely bonkers the law in this area is."

End clip

Richard Polhill August 9th 06 01:51 PM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

wrote:
snip

May I refer the (dis)honourable gentle(wo)man to the post entitled 'Defamation
on Bulletin Board'

Thank you

Just Another Legal Fan August 9th 06 03:12 PM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

wrote:

"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon"

If Ms Fords sense of humour is so badly lacking she
shouldn't be anywhere near children.

Phil Stovell August 9th 06 04:52 PM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 05:09:16 -0700, SPAMYAMAMA wrote:

"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon"

HTF can that be libel? It's in very bad taste, but so what? It's like
saying drugs policy reformers all want to get babies addicted to heroin!
Everybody knows it's an extreme exaggeration.

--
Phil Stovell, South Hampshire, UK

"They said I should not take him to the police, but rather
let him pay a dowry for my goat because he used it as his wife"

5th Horseman of the Apocalypse! August 10th 06 12:32 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

Phil Stovell wrote:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 05:09:16 -0700, SPAMYAMAMA wrote:

"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon"

HTF can that be libel? It's in very bad taste, but so what? It's like
saying drugs policy reformers all want to get babies addicted to heroin!
Everybody knows it's an extreme exaggeration.

Ego's and the whiff of a quick way to make some readies.

I wonder how many people had heard of... whoever she is before this
business compared to how many people have heard of her now.

What are her qualifications for telling other people how to raise their
children anyway? Does she have any of her own or does she have any
academic qualifications. A Television camera crew seems to be all the
qualification an "expert" needs these days. That or a white coat and
bad hand writing!

The people these so-called experts feature on their shows all seem to
fall in to the same basic category - Chavs. I blame Trisha Goddard, for
telling the working classes that it's okay to wear shell suits and roll
around in their own muck on day time TV.

I doubt there will be an action, what would be the point? Judgement for
the plaintiff in the sum of £50 to be paid from deductions from the
defendant's social security benefits at 50p a month.

[email protected] August 10th 06 02:01 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

In uk.legal Just Another Legal Fan wrote:
wrote:

"straps babies to rockets and fires them into south Lebanon"

If Ms Fords sense of humour is so badly lacking she
shouldn't be anywhere near children.

From the way Ford is carrying on, she is one of the last people that any
sane person should pay attention to with regard to rearing children.

Axel

ANTHONY CHARLES TABONE August 10th 06 02:43 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

It is normal for palestine and husbola parents to strap rockets and AIM
them @ israel Arafat was paying the familys $10,000.00 and Sadam Hushain
paid familys $25,000.00 to strap homaside bombs to there children and send
to markets,malls,schools and even buses. And after September 11, 2001 Saudie
Arabia had an aution to raise even more money to continue killing inocent
israellies. The only countries that don't send there children to kill are
UNITED STATES,MALTA,GREAT BRITTIAN,AUSTRIA,SOUTH KOREA,JAPAN.

oups.com...

Scott August 10th 06 11:33 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

ANTHONY CHARLES TABONE wrote:
It is normal for palestine and husbola parents to strap rockets and AIM
them @ israel Arafat was paying the familys $10,000.00 and Sadam Hushain
paid familys $25,000.00 to strap homaside bombs to there children and send
to markets,malls,schools and even buses. And after September 11, 2001 Saudie
Arabia had an aution to raise even more money to continue killing inocent
israellies. The only countries that don't send there children to kill are
UNITED STATES,MALTA,GREAT BRITTIAN,AUSTRIA,SOUTH KOREA,JAPAN.

I counted 26 errors in that short piece - more if you include the so
called 'facts' you wrote. You can always tell a Fox 'News' viewer.

Richard Polhill August 10th 06 11:45 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

Scott wrote:

I counted 26 errors in that short piece - more if you include the so
called 'facts' you wrote. You can always tell a Fox 'News' viewer.

*snicker*

Richard Polhill August 10th 06 11:49 AM

Gina Ford and Mumsnet

ANTHONY CHARLES TABONE wrote:
It is normal for palestine and husbola parents to strap rockets and AIM
them @ israel Arafat was paying the familys $10,000.00 and Sadam Hushain
paid familys $25,000.00 to strap homaside bombs to there children and send
to markets,malls,schools and even buses. And after September 11, 2001 Saudie
Arabia had an aution to raise even more money to continue killing inocent
israellies. The only countries that don't send there children to kill are
UNITED STATES,MALTA,GREAT BRITTIAN,AUSTRIA,SOUTH KOREA,JAPAN.

This is an example of the sort of eloquence that nullifies any claim of libel
against public fora.