Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Una
Forum: Pregnancy June 25th 08, 05:43 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 0
Posted By Una
Transverse lie "case study"

Hello m.k.p,

On Wikiversity a teaching "case study" is being written about a woman
whose baby was transverse at 39 weeks. The final conclusion was that
the woman had a small ovarian tumor. The...
Forum: General December 30th 07, 05:48 AM Posted to misc.kids,misc.education
Replies: 228
Posted By Una
teaching algebra to elementary school students

Pologirl wrote:
Concepts of algebra can be taught as early as 1st grade, using color
coded sticks of integer lengths.

Chookie wrote:
Is...
Forum: Pregnancy November 19th 07, 03:23 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 2
Posted By Una
Twins (one molar?)

Andrea wrote:
Well I'm preg agaian, and today I had an ultrasound showing a twin
pregnancy.

Congratulations!

they said if it's a definate molar I will have to lose both.

Maybe.
Forum: Pregnancy November 13th 07, 09:03 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 0
Posted By Una
Amniotic fluid AFP false positives

Here is a new medical article that may be of interest to readers here.

Una

Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007;86(2):167-71.
Routine assessment of amniotic fluid alpha-Fetoprotein in early...
Forum: Pregnancy November 13th 07, 08:23 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

fchiramel wrote:
I got a reply from Dr. Misejewski just a few minutes ago (whose
original review on AFP you had linked several posts up) who says that
AF total protein range is b/w 5.6 to 7.8 g/L,...
Forum: Pregnancy November 13th 07, 03:23 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Fchiramel wrote:
I get your point about the relative likelihoods of false positive
versus true positive, esp. in a low risk population. That is what we
are banking on.

Good.

Another comment...
Forum: Pregnancy November 13th 07, 05:03 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Relative risk. Imagine two bell curves, both with long tails. One
curve is very tall, the other short. The short curve lies in the
tail of the tall curve. The tall curve is so tall that even in...
Forum: Pregnancy November 12th 07, 06:03 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Fchiramel wrote:
From what you have read, what is the amniotic fluid total protein
range?

I will have to reconstruct me search for you. Stay tuned...

My wife and I are from the same ethnic...
Forum: Pregnancy November 12th 07, 12:23 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

wrote:
Hi Una:

Hope you are still around. It has helped me sort out a lot of the
literature discussing it with you.

As it happens, I am...

We are still stressed about...
Forum: Pregnancy November 2nd 07, 04:23 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

F wrote:
I did not read about AFP being elevated in CNF serum.

I checked and found nothing except one abstract that by its context
says AFP is normal in serum of CNF patients. The abstract...
Forum: Pregnancy November 1st 07, 03:43 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Good point. In symptomatic (affected) children, congenital nephrosis
causes proteinuria. So doesn't AF total protein in the normal range
rule out CN?

Perhaps not relevant to you now, but I am...
Forum: Pregnancy October 31st 07, 03:43 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

F wrote:
I also e-mailed Dr. Crandall about her findings
(which actually looked quite promising to me at 45% unaffected)- she
mentioned that her cases were clustered close to...
Forum: Pregnancy October 31st 07, 02:23 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

F wrote:
Thanks again Una for all that research and info.

You are welcome. Your concerns touch on some that I have, so I am
helping myself as much as you.

Just a Q: I have gone thru...
Forum: Pregnancy October 31st 07, 06:23 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Una wrote:
Kestila and Jarvela also say that NPHS1 pregnancies typically show
AF AFP MoM significantly higher than MS AFP MoM. They say nothing
about whether this pattern does or...
Forum: Pregnancy October 31st 07, 04:11 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

F. wrote:
Kestila and Jarvela, Prenatal diagnosis of CNS, Prenatal diagnosis
(2003), 23, 323-324

..teh article is essentially about the gene mutation in CNF (NPHS1,
which we are getting done...
Forum: Pregnancy October 31st 07, 12:03 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

Fchiramel wrote:
Actually congenital nephrosis can and does produce very high maternal
serum AFPs (lots of studies- actually it is recommended screening for
CN in Finland).

I wondered about that...
Forum: Pregnancy October 30th 07, 04:03 PM Posted to gmane.culture.support.teratoma,misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

(Crossposted and e-mailed to TFD.)

Una wrote:
* Yolk sac tumor aka endodermal sinus tumor, pure or mixed
[...]

* Congenital skin defect (unspecified; would have to read...
Forum: Pregnancy October 30th 07, 03:23 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,gmane.culture.support.teratoma
Replies: 5
Posted By Una
very elevated amniotic fluid AFP- normal U/S, echo, etc.

In misc.kids.pregnancy, Amanda-Jane wrote:
My daughter was born with a sacrococcygeal teratoma but it was
unnoticeable, it was not noticeable in the morphology scan either.

It wasn't noticed...
Forum: Pregnancy October 30th 07, 04:03 AM Posted to gmane.culture.support.teratoma,misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 26
Posted By Una
Elevated AFP in maternal serum and amniotic fluid

(Crossposted, I hope.)

Oh boy. This gets really complicated. The MS AFP is 5MoM and the
AF AFP is 16MoM, but on ultrasounds the baby appears to be healthy.

The simple answer is that MS AFP and AF...
Forum: General January 6th 07, 02:03 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 2
Posted By Una
USA tax deductible medical expenses?

joni wrote:
Remember, you are sitting in front of a computer ;-) Do it yourself:

"Health care expenses are an itemized deduction on your Schedule A, but
only the amount you...
Showing results 1 to 20 of 20