Showing results 1 to 25 of 87
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: alath
Forum: Pregnancy February 12th 08, 05:54 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 23
Posted By alath
transvaginal ultrasound limitations

I don't think the problem with her knowledge of ultrasound,

Disagree. I do think it is a problem with ultrasound skill.

I am a CNM and also ARDMS certified for OB sonography. The basic...
Forum: Pregnancy September 4th 07, 04:17 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 12
Posted By alath
20 week Ultrasound - stomach full of amniotic fluid

The US tech is right, a fetal stomach is a normal finding. If
stomach full is the radiologist's real concern, frankly, I would look
for a new radiologist. So I would press the radiologist to...
Forum: Pregnancy August 24th 07, 12:22 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 3
Posted By alath
Birth Injury Children: Parents we need to hear from you

So how exactly do you think the obstetrician was at fault for causing
your cousin's spina bifida?

Or do you simply blame the OB for failing to offer the opportunity to
abort?
Forum: Pregnancy August 20th 07, 07:41 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

Absolutely. It always seems a little odd that
information like this doesn't seem to get out all that
much. I always feel like people are presented with such
simplistic options, when...
Forum: Pregnancy August 19th 07, 01:42 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

reasons for having it at 18-20 weeks but I believe they have more to
do with termination laws rather than best practice.

This is a very important point that I was considering bringing...
Forum: Pregnancy August 18th 07, 02:46 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

For me, one test is also leading to more tests.

Really? It seems to me you would have been offered the midtrimester
ultrasound and serum screen even if you had not had the first
trimester screen.
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 09:52 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

1) Whatever the results are, it automatically puts me in a higher
risk catagory. If I have a local hospital birth, protocols and
expectations are somewhat different for women who have...
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 02:34 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

My understanding - which could very well be wrong - has been that if a
heart defect (or any other defect) isn't major enough to show up on an
18 - 20 week scan, then it is probably not going to...
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 04:45 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

at and measuring every single body part, including internal organs. The
ultrasound was then reviewed by a radiologist and the results were sent to
the OB.

Now that is a real rarity. The...
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 04:36 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

What, for you, is the downside of the specialized ultrasound?

You hinted at the upside - potentially detecting a condition
foreknowledge of which could lead to better treatment and possibly a
better...
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 04:31 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

Anyway, I'm just arguing that these are complicated
decisions that come down to more than just the numbers.

I agree that the realities are always more complicated than what we
think of...
Forum: Pregnancy August 17th 07, 02:01 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

What is to prevent someone for filing the something
ahead of time, regardless of whether or not there is an
advance diagnosis, specifying under what conditions they
are interested in...
Forum: Pregnancy August 16th 07, 07:26 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

However---and I should emphasize this is only an impression from some
initial skimming of material---isn't the false positive rate fairly high?
I.e., the probability that the baby does not have...
Forum: Pregnancy August 16th 07, 07:22 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

while some people want to plan based on a diagnosis, it is
also possible to put a plan in place just the same as many
perfectly healthy people have a "living will" to tell caregivers
what...
Forum: Pregnancy August 15th 07, 02:39 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 46
Posted By alath
nuchal fold test necessary?

"Necessary?" No. Very few things are really "necessary."
Desirable? Useful? Very possibly - even if you know you would not
terminate.

Nuchal fold and nuchal lucency are two different tests. If you...
Forum: Pregnancy July 16th 07, 02:57 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 43
Posted By alath
3D ultrasound question.

Bottom line for me is, I would not have a late pregnancy u/s unless
there is a reason to do it. Fetal size would not be an indication in a
non-diabetic patient. "Don't ask any question you don't want...
Forum: Pregnancy July 14th 07, 01:02 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 43
Posted By alath
3D ultrasound question.

I didn't say that there was no conceivable circumstance where the
causal relationship you propose could be possible. I said that
association data does not constitute evidence of such a...
Forum: Pregnancy July 14th 07, 12:07 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 43
Posted By alath
3D ultrasound question.

I was looking up stuff about
late ultrasound a few weeks ago and found nothing positive about it, if
anything, it worsen outcomes

Let's be sure to differentiate between an association between...
Forum: Pregnancy July 12th 07, 07:56 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 21
Posted By alath
20 weeks ultrasound didn't find a stomach bubble

Sorry, caught this one late.

In case anyone else ever has this same issue, let me clear up a couple
of points from the discussion above:

Not seeing the stomach, not seeing fluid in the stomach, not...
Forum: Pregnancy May 6th 07, 01:44 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 2
Posted By alath
Facts about Miscarriages

* At times medical tests could be the reason for a miscarriage.

Excuse me, is this just very poorly worded, or are you really
suggesting that medical tests cause miscarriage?
Forum: Pregnancy April 12th 07, 03:49 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 0
Posted By alath
death of usenet?

I know a major reason I have been using it less and less is the
proliferation of fanatics. Just about every topical area, it seems,
inspires a small number of slavering monomaniacs who are...
Forum: Pregnancy March 11th 07, 09:04 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 7
Posted By alath
Fundal Height 31 cm at 37 weeks

You speak as if you expect all these measurements
to be perfect and precise. They're not. There's variation
from measurer to measurer. Especially this late in the
game there's...
Forum: Pregnancy March 1st 07, 04:09 AM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 16
Posted By alath
Decline and fall of misc.kids.pregnancy

Most of these usenet groups have at least one, if not several frothing-
at-the-mouth monomaniacs who tend to spoil the discourse. For example,
just let someone come on here who's undecided about...
Forum: Pregnancy February 27th 07, 09:21 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 3
Posted By alath
Pregnancy #2: NST?

An NST is just scheduled fetal monitoring - hooking you up to the
fetal heartrate monitor on a scheduled basis.

NST is done to provide fetal surveillance when there is a risk of poor
circulation...
Forum: Pregnancy February 27th 07, 09:12 PM Posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Replies: 11
Posted By alath
MTHFR gene mutation

Based on my judgement, I think it would be reasonable to do fetal
monitoring and serial ultrasound in the third trimester. However, I
don't think I would consider early delivery if there were...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 87