Showing results 1 to 25 of 26
Search took 1.15 seconds.
Forum: General January 19th 07, 01:30 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 44
Posted By [email protected]
"Why Johnny Won't Read" - your opinions?

#1 has a reading age way above her actual age. In the library we're running
short of books she will read.

My son had that problem in his second year at school - his reading
ability was ahead of...
Forum: General January 18th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 42
Posted By [email protected]
A school has banned children from eating sweets

Rosalie B. wrote:

I'm not sure what the breakfast club is

A "breakfast club" is a place where kids are looked after before
school, they can play and they are given breakfast. Many are run...
Forum: General December 8th 06, 01:48 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Absolutely, but I think an additional key is to realize
that effectively shutting down the manipulation often lowers
stress in a child in and of itself.

Yes, I think...
Forum: General December 8th 06, 10:14 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

It's very hard
to figure out where to draw the line with these kids.
When do you push, and when do you say it's okay, he'll
do it someday when he's ready? If you do...
Forum: General December 8th 06, 09:36 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

it is also *essential* that these kids experience failures and realize
that they can survive them.

"Essential" is relative :-(. It's very desirable but for us a lot...
Forum: General December 7th 06, 07:33 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 16
Posted By [email protected]
6 yo nervous about music program

Nan wrote:

On the one hand I want her to participate, as I think she'll be okay once she gets
involved, and I used to get stage-fright before ballet recitals and plays and know it isn't
that...
Forum: General December 7th 06, 02:16 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

Ericka Kammerer wrote:

Actually, just to be pedantic again, the book in question uses the word "manipulative" in a very particular way, and in fact, one of the main reasons kids like this
Forum: General December 7th 06, 02:03 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

enigma wrote:

i have no idea what type of
therapy they would have used to make him more confidant &
resiliant, especially since he's *very* confidant about things
that he's good at.
he's...
Forum: General December 6th 06, 10:23 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
What do you do when a 3 1/2 year-old looks at you and says "yeah, yeah, yeah?"

grammaticism/grammatichasm wrote:

My nephews were practically
raised on bribery, and they did NOTHING unless they were paid for it.
Even now, if someone asks them to do something (and they are...
Forum: General December 6th 06, 10:09 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 76
Posted By [email protected]
More SPR

toypup wrote:

In fact, he is doing
things purposely to get SPR. He will sit down willingly for SPR sometimes
just to start banging on the wall. Or, he takes SPR as the trade-off to not
do...
Forum: General December 5th 06, 11:56 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 29
Posted By [email protected]
What do you do when a 3 1/2 year-old looks at you and says "yeah, yeah, yeah?"

grammaticism/grammatichasm wrote:

I got him to put away his toys (with me helping) by saying he could
have one small piece of chocolate (that was bribery - I want to stay
away from that - but...
Forum: General November 28th 06, 09:06 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 71
Posted By [email protected]
9-year-old and not listening

Banty wrote:

No need to feel morally inferior :) ... All other things being equal, you're right for
going for the paid work.

Thank you for the kind words :-) As things have turned out, I'm...
Forum: General November 28th 06, 02:34 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 71
Posted By [email protected]
9-year-old and not listening

toypup wrote:

Yes, you've described DS. When he is in that state, nothing works and he
really doesn't care if the worse happens, he really doesn't. Once he's
calm, he's fine, but whatever...
Forum: General November 28th 06, 02:30 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 71
Posted By [email protected]
9-year-old and not listening

toypup wrote:

But reward for good behavior is smiles and hugs. It is not
stars on his chart.

Maybe part of the equation is that different children respond in
different ways?

My DS responds...
Forum: General November 27th 06, 11:45 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 71
Posted By [email protected]
9-year-old and not listening

toypup wrote:

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

A book you might want to take a look at is this one:
Forum: General November 18th 06, 11:12 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 8
Posted By [email protected]
Potty training advice sought for twin boys

Larry wrote:

Two boys, about 3 1/2 yrs old. M has pooped on the potty many times,
even on his own initiative,
but right now mostly not. R has pooped on the potty I don't recall, but
once? ...
Forum: General October 12th 06, 10:39 AM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 49
Posted By [email protected]
Help Wanted! for Unruly 3yo & more

-L. wrote:
runninarnd3 wrote:

My 3yo is unusually (IMO) well, naughty. I am at my wits end and any advice
would be appreciated.

I agree with L. And one thing to add; most of the things your...
Forum: General September 30th 06, 10:00 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
Is popularity an issue in grade school?

lisabell wrote:

(I'm very interested in your son's role playing story, btw).

Well, I don't know if it's helpful but I do love re-telling this story
:-). My son has a reasonable notion of...
Forum: General September 29th 06, 01:08 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
Is popularity an issue in grade school?

Welches wrote:

Having looked at the "social stories" (2nd link on the page) there's quite a
few that might be helpful to preschool age learning about making friends.

Sure!

And social stories...
Forum: General September 28th 06, 11:25 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
Is popularity an issue in grade school?

lisabell wrote:

Well the popularity trend of 3rd grade seems to be swallowing up her
former friends, and for some reason she is not interested in the less
socially aggressive kids remaining....
Forum: General September 28th 06, 11:22 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 55
Posted By [email protected]
Is popularity an issue in grade school?

lisabell wrote:

I am a bit concerned that DD1, who has just begun 3rd grade and is
doing very well academically, isn't doing so great socially. She has
always been a bit of an intense, literal...
Forum: General September 13th 06, 10:18 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 54
Posted By [email protected]
Rude or am I expecting too much?

toypup wrote:

Moments like these are just so embarrassing. The fact that we don't spank
and we can't get him to turn around and say "thank you" just makes me feel
like a bad mom, because...
Forum: General September 13th 06, 05:43 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 54
Posted By [email protected]
Rude or am I expecting too much?

toypup wrote:

I did have an incident when we were visiting IL's. Those visits tend to
wear the kids out, because we are somewhere everyday. We visited some
friends of their family and he was...
Forum: General September 10th 06, 05:12 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
Question. . . ?

Mommy of 2 wrote:

ODD, OCD, ADHD, ADD, is what every doctor says he COULD have a FUTURE
diagnosis of, but for right now, you me his mother can figure it all
out on my on. I don't have a...
Forum: General September 9th 06, 08:17 PM Posted to misc.kids
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
Question. . . ?

Mommy of 2 wrote:

So I have a question for everyone, opinions welcome,
facts and websites/books appreciated. All forms of Autism is my current
research for curiosity.

So... what *exactly* do...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 26