Old January 29th 04, 03:49 PM
Magenta

Default OT, x-posted: light-colored poop in 14-month-old

I run a daycare and see that all the time in kids that constantly have a
milk bottle.

"VirginiaGirl" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have a problem I was hoping some of you all with more parenting

experience
thatn I have could give me some thoughts on My daughter (14 months)

has
been having, over the last few days, extremely foul-smelling, pale,
beige-yellow bowel movements -- *not* white, but a color a touch darker

than
khaki and a bit more yellow.

Anyway, the change was very sudden, and happened about 6 days ago. The
first time I noticed it, it was a normal consistency. Then, the next
morning she came down with a major bout of diarrhea (and some vomiting)

that
lasted for 3-4 days. The diarrhea was the same pale color and very liquid
and foul-smelling. We kept her well-hydrated, and over the last couple of
days there has been no more vomiting and the stool has returned to a more
normal consistency. However, the color has stayed pale.

She isn't acting particularly sick -- a little cranky, perhaps, but I

think
that could be ascribed to the diarrhea/stomach bug. She's sleeping,

eating,
and playing well.

This was not precipitated by any big change in her diet. After the

diarrhea
started, we did stick for a couple of days to dry toast/Pedialite etc, but
now she's eating regularly (whole milk, pasta, carrots, peas, etc.) and it
hasn't made a difference. She has no allergies we are aware of.

Also, I see no sign of jaundice at the moment.

I did talk to a nurse at the pediatrician's office a few days ago, and she
didn't seem to have any thoughts on it (her concern was more the
diarrhea/vomiting and keeping the baby hydrated).

Any thoughts? Is this normal? Could a gastro-intestinal bug cause this?
If not, should I be concerned about biliary obstruction (and what could
cause that?)? Should I wait a few days and see if it resolves itself, or
call the pediatrician and ask to be seen now?

Sorry for the length --

Thanks in advance!

VG