Old October 28th 03, 04:30 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

ColoradoSkiBum wrote:

: Oh, my dd
: is at risk. Better threaten us with fines. I am really irate. Who
came up
: with such a stupid law?
:
:
: Blame the zero-tolerance folks, the no child left behind folks...
:
: Bush anyone?
:
:
: Bingo. And as far as I can tell, it's going to
: get worse, not better.
:

Bull. If this were true, all schools would have such restrictive policies.
They don't.

It's coming. It just takes a while for the relevant
laws to percolate down, and some school resist longer than
others--until they get in trouble for "not following the
rules" and experience draconian punishments and then have
to implement draconian rules themselves as the lesser of
two evils. Our school was much more liberal before we
started getting letters home explaining that they were
going to have to tighten up in some areas due to "No
Child Left Behind" and other legislation. And, of course,
many states have jumped on the bandwagon and are
implementing requirements that are even more restrictive
in the name of accountability.

Best wishes,
Ericka