Old January 11th 07, 01:14 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

Default Homemade fruit juices and Pregnancy

Is it safe to drink homemade fruit juices during pregnancy? I have read
that unpasteurized juices are unsafe. It is recommended that one eat
fruits everyday, however, one cannot drink freshly squeezed juice ! I
am confused!!

I've not heard that unpasturised juice is unsafe, I'm not sure it's even
pasturised anyway, they concentrate it and rehydrate for the longer life
stuff, I don't know if if gets to a temperature equivalent to
pasteurisation. Buying fresh juice that is then transported is quite
different to making it fresh at home with fresh fruit and there really would
be no problem with that. I'm no expert on juice bars, but I can't see why
there would be a problem there either. To be honest even poor handling of
fresh fruit juice isn't going to be a big problem I think it goes mouldy and
you just wouldn't want to drink it, I've never heard of a case of listeria
reported from it.
Anne