Old March 11th 04, 01:17 PM
lunchlady

Default Cultural differences (was: upset at nanny -- vent)

"Circe" wrote in message news:Y0sWb.39169$QJ3.36800@fed1read04...
Er, 35 years ago, I was 4 years old. I'm reasonably sure that Negro was in

disfavor by then. I believe "colored" was actually the favored term by that
time.

That said, Negro was *always* a word with negative implications because it
was coined and used at a time when black people were considered so inferior
in the US that it was okay to enslave them. For obvious reasons, most people
in the US now want to dissociate themselves from that term and all its
baggage.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [23 mos.] mom)

Well, I'm the same age, and remember clearly advertising for the United Negro College Fund. I don't remember "colored" so much as "black" or, for a time in the 70's (an all around peculiar decade!) "Afro American".

Of course, I grew up in the midwest.