Old May 10th 06, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Wife Miscarried: Wife Wants Resume Intercourse

My condolences to both of you.

I had a MC this time last year, which I posted about. If you or your
wife are interested in stories similar to your own, reading mine in the
google archive of this group might help. Briefly, I knew at about 9
weeks a MC was almost certain, but it didn't happen until 12 weeks. I
loved that baby from its conception and I grieved bitterly all those
weeks we waited for the MC. (I am crying now, remembering my poor lost
baby.) Once the MC came, in a way it was a great relief. Closure. I
wanted to get on with baby making. DH was reluctant, thinking MC
equals illness. It was not! The MC was exactly the healthy outcome of
that pregnancy. I think it is very important to make this distinction.
An MC *may* equal perfect health but bad luck.

My MW told me she used to recommend waiting some months. Then some
weeks. But she learned from long (!) experience that it makes no
difference whatsoever. We started trying again that month; we
conceived my current pregancy 6 months later. I am now at 20 weeks.
Now, in retrospect, I think it might have been emotionally easier for
me if we had waited 6 months to try. We conceived on the lost baby's
due date, and this has been emotionally painful for me. But on the
other hand I am "old": I felt (and still feel) very deeply that we
could not afford to wait before trying again because I might not have
that many months left on my biological clock.

You both can and should start trying to make a baby as soon as you both
feel ready. You both can and should resume intercourse, with or
without contraception, as soon as you both feel ready. If your wife
ovulates this month, it will happen in the next week or two. If you
can, please try to think about sex and conception independently. That
tends to simplify the decision process. Try to focus on why the MC
occurred: was there a maternal problem, or was it the result of a
genetic or developmental error in the fetus? Fetal error is by far the
most common reason for MC. If the former, you might want to delay
making a baby for a time, while investigating the problem. But even in
that case there is no medical reason to avoid sexual activity per se.
A first trimester MC is not much different from a regular period, as
far as the woman's physiology is concerned.

Again, the key is that you both feel ready. Whatever that means,
defining it is entirely up to you.

Good luck!