Old September 9th 05, 01:56 PM

Chookie wrote:
In article ,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thread yet...just wanted to
make a coment or two.

In any case, considering Katrina's aftermath, I was wondering what people's
disaster preparation plans were, and if they've been changed.

We don't really have a disaster plan, because we live in roughly the middle of
Greater Sydney. We're a long way from bushfires, earthquakes, cyclones,
tornadoes etc. Our most likely scenarios a

House fire
Terrorist attack on infrastructure (anthrax in the water, destruction of gas
or electricity supply, bombing or road/railway)

This one does worry me a bit. I live a suburb of a major metropolitan
city in the US. My husband works downtown in one of the Federal
Buildings. My husband was supposed to be in NY on Sept 11 2001. Two of
his coworkers were in the WTC the night before it came down. They
watched it happen from their hotel room.

Deaths of both DH and me in car accident; survival of children

I think DH and I need to rethink this one. We each have our opinions
regarding the ability of our parents to raise the boys if something
happened to us. We had thought that DH's brother would be a good
option, but my brother recently became much more stable (married, now
with a little one of his own). He had been in a long term relationship
when DS1 was born, and no one in the family could stand my brother's
girlfriend(they broke up a couple of years ago).

DS1 and DS2 are too small to be drilled in fire escape procedure, so we
haven't started that yet. The thing we do need to do is rewrite our wills to
cover DS2, to make sure the boys go to the people we think they ought to go to.

DH and I have some things for various emergencies, but nothing is
remotely organized at the moment as a result of our attempts to pack
and store things as we get closer to our move (which keeps getting
further away instead of closer...it's now supposed to happen at the end
of December).

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.