Old June 14th 06, 11:33 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Beth,
I think that's a really great point. Isn't it interesting that at the
exact same time that we may be finding that (as a society) we are
dressing (or at least accepting that some people dress) our children,
even babies like teenagers and adults, we're also treating our adults
(20+ year olds) like children.

I just watched a news story the other day talking about the cellphone
being the longest umbilical cord...as Baby Boomers are coddling their
children into college and into their early 20's.

Good point. Which makes me wonder - are we blurring the lines between
being a child and growing up? There seems to no longer be a "rite of
passage". Are we blurring it?

Beth Kevles wrote:
Hi, tigerpaws --

wear is irrelevant. How we treat children -- that is, at what age we
expect them to take on adult-like responsibilities -- is definitely an
important. Our society has extended childhood far, far past the
historical norm. The trend begins with things like the advent of child
labor laws (1800s, industrial revolution) which limited certain kinds of
labor prior to the age of 10, then 14, then 18 ... I see childhood now
as extending even into the 30's, which is when many people expect
finally to marry and take on the ultimate adult responsibility of
raising kids!

I know this posting is way too brief and not well-organized, but I hope
at least some of my point is coming across. Perhaps I'll pontificate
further when my children aren't tugging at my shoulders :-)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.