Old September 2nd 03, 11:14 AM
Kender

Default Mexican Lasagna, was France (at last)

"multimom4" wrote in message
snip
I learned two easy new recipes from friends (chicken curry and zucchini
fettucine) to add to my pathetic repertoire -- I'm a great cook but I am
also terminally lazy on that front.

You might like this recipe Janet. It is a great, easy to make ahead of time
(such as in the afternoon) and my kids love it. I use whole wheat tortillas
because I don't like the corn tortillas.

Mexican Lasagna

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 large onion, halved and cut into thin wedges
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 cups (16 ounces) fat free ricotta cheese
1 cup (8 ounces) reduced fat sour cream
1 jar (4 ounces) chopped green chile peppers
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups salsa
8 corn tortillas (6" diameter), cut in half
1.25 cups (5 ounces) shredded low-fat Monterey Jack Cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13" x 9" baking dish with cooking spray.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
Add the chicken and cook, turning several times, for 5 minutes, or until no
longer pink. Remove to a medium bowl. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
Coat with cooking spray. Place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, or until lightly
browned. Add to the chicken in the bowl.

In another medium bowl, combine the ricotta, sour cream, chile peppers,
cilantro, cumin and salt.

Spread 1 cup of the salsa across the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Arrange half of the tortillas evenly over the salsa. Spread half of the
ricotta mixture over the tortillas. top with half the chicken mixture. Top
with 1 cup of the remaining salsa and 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack. Repeat
the layering sequence with the remaining tortillas, ricotta mixture, and
chicken mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of the salsa and the 3/4
cup cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Loosely cover with foil if the
cheese browns too quickly.

Makes 8 servings
Per serving: 281 calories, 30g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 9g fat, 61 mg
cholesterol, 3g fiber, 601 mg sodium

--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97