Old November 6th 05, 12:47 PM
animzmirot

Default Computer monitoring

"Scott" wrote in message
Greg wrote:

My DD gives off unmistakeable signs when she is abusing
her computer privileges. Sometimes I don't notice them
at the time, but in retrospect they are always there.

It helps in our house that the computer is in a very
visible part of the house. There is *no* privacy
there. That and being able to log in as her helps
keep things in control. So far

I have to agree with Scott. I have two teenagers, one of whom has a MySpace
account and blog. The other really isn't that interested in the computer
other than to read my blog and see what I've written about the kids. The kid
who is very computer savvy has been caught before doing inappropriate things
on the computer and has lost privileges for quite some time. It was easy, I
just password protected the computer, removed the kids accounts, and the
only computer to have internet access is in a VERY visable place where they
can't hide a thing. I do check the history fairly often, and I have the
password to the MySpace account and know what is on it at all times. Both
kids have laptops in their rooms for homework, but they have no internet
access and we don't have WIFI just for this reason.

I don't believe in monitoring software. I'm pretty sure of what they are and
aren't doing on the computer because it's in such a public space in our
house. But if things took a bad turn I'd be slapping on password protection
pretty quickly and my kids know that from experience. Having consequences
that are painful has taught them valuable lessons. We no longer have IM
because someone abused it, for example. If you don't want to lose privileges
then you have to follow the house rules concerning anything electronic.

Marjorie