Old November 16th 05, 12:48 PM
illecebra

Default Need ideas for encouraging budding animator

Robin wrote:
snip
I had the same sticker shock when I looked at Flash (even used,
slightly outdated versions). "Free" is always a nice word when attached
to software! I am wondering, though, if with Blender, he will be
severely handicapped by not having Internet access. I can probably
figure out how to hook his machine up to my Internet connection long
enough to download the software, but engaging regularly on the message
board is out. (Eventually -- say, in high school -- he'll get his own
access, but for now, we have both technical and parental reasons not to
hook up his room.)

His computer is running Win98.

GIMP sounds like something I can use!

--Robin

If you like, I will make a tarball** of the better Blender tutorials so
that it would be easy to download them in one shot. (The best first
tutorial IMHO is the one on how to make a gingerbread man walk around.)
Just give me an idea of what your son's interests are like so I have
an idea of which ones to choose. (This may not happen until around or
after Thanksgiving... I'm already in full-steam holiday preperation.)

illecebra

**A tarball is a compressed archive, kind of like a .zip file. If you
can't open tarballs (.tar.gz or .tar.bz2) let me know and I'll do .zip
instead.