Old July 16th 06, 07:00 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default We have reached 1 year!

On 2006-07-12 00:15:00 +0800, "Anne Rogers" said:

actually I never stated my personal preference, which would be to never
give cows milk in a bottle, it's semi irrational, based on the fact
that at least formula is designed for bottles, but then as it seems to
be the speech reason that leads the reasons for getting of bottles it
probably doesn't matter what is actually in it.

I think if was me I would have them give one of the feeds from a sippy
(no valve - just as bad for speech apparently), the one when he is most
awake and the other stick with a bottle, then go to all cup, which
would hopefully happen in 2 weeks to a month, then transition to cows
milk, if necessary by doing 10% 90% and working the amount of formula
down over another two weeks to a month.

Cheers

Anne

Hi there - just hijacking this thread to ask about the definition of a
sippy cup... is it a cup with a spout that they have to tip up to drink
out of?

That's what ds uses. But there seems to be different types of those. At
first he had one with a rubbery type spout that the baby has to squeeze
and suck to get anything out. He had no chance with that one being a
lazy bum. Next we tried the Avent Magic cup with a hard spout and a
filter thingy. Wouldn't suck hard enough to get anything through the
filter thingy but with 3 holes in it too much came out without it. He
now uses a Tommy Tippee sippy cup that has one hole. For a long time we
just tipped it up till some went it. He's now learnt to do it himself
but doesn't always tip it up enough so quite often we still do it. He
can do it without a lid but he likes to throw his cup about so there
was no chance of him learning to do it himself without one

I have had mixed success with these - Will seems to bite/chew
them, and for the next few days my nipples hurt a lot, and I have
worked out it is because he's chewing on me in the same way! As soon
as I get rid of that specific cup, it stops. What I have found to work
well is a straw cup. I use the 'Pigeion' wide neck bottle with a straw
top attachment. He gets big gulps of water, and doesn't have to chew!
Anne, do you know whether straws are detrimental to speech development?
Also, if he uses a dummy just to settle to sleep, at this age (13.5
months) is that bad for speech, too? I don't let him have it any other
time - he puts dummy to bed when he gets up. I have had no success with
any dummy other than the pigeon 0-5 months sized dummy, too...
supposedly closest to breastfeeding. I'd love to get rid of it,
obviously, but no chance of sleep if that happens.

I'm with you on the dummy except that we have been using it for
teething and colds too. None of the usual soothers (cold flannel,
teething rings) do the trick and he is so miserable that it seems
heartless to deny him.

Jeni