Old July 14th 03, 10:42 PM
Tracey

Default wood heat

Stephanie and Tim wrote:
What do you all know about smoke from wood heat? DH thinks the
whole world is carcenogenic so screw it. (How is THAT for male logic, to
be grosly stereotyping.) Anyone have any info? SIDS risk?

Well, I know that when we have a fire in our fireplace, the smoke smell gets
into EVERYTHING and it sticks around. When I go out, I can still smell it
on our clothes, and so can everyone else. Personally, I hate that.

The other worst part about using wood heat is that it is extremely drying.
I wouldn't use my fireplace on any regular basis without having a good size
humidifier to run constantly.

The other main thing that I can say is: Make very sure that the chimney is
cleaned on a regular basis.

Last time we bought wood (in CT) it cost us $140 for a cord. We only use
the fireplace sometimes, so I can't help you figure how much you might
possibly need if you are using woood for most of your heating.