Old February 23rd 05, 02:09 PM
Stephanie Stowe

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Banty wrote:

In article , Penny Gaines says...

Rosalie B. wrote:

Given that, the "no" responses don't put me off much. If one
is to answer the question "no", in fact, I'm not sure what other
reasons they could give. What "no" rationale could a parent
give that would be logically acceptable to a working parent?

How about - she is taking the job from a man who is supporting his
family?

Well, not neccessarily from a man: if the spouse has an above
average income, and the mother's job paid below or at the average
income, then the mother-with-a-well-paid-spouse might be taking
the job which could be done by the mother-with-a-badly-paid-spouse.

But where are we going with this?

IIRC, the question was - what other significant reason could someone
give to the question "Should a mother work if she doesn't need to do
so?" OTHER THAN that she should be home mothering her kids because it
will be better for the kids. I was offering the old
taking-a-job-from-a-man idea as one that could be used in the NO WOHM
argument. Not a very good argument, but better than the idea that
women have to follow their nurturing instincts or they will be
unhappy.

Sorry, I don't think it is a better argument than anything. I think that in
a competition between a man and a woman for a given job, qualifications are
the determining factor. Of course, I think the idea that a woman needs to
justify her decision to work outside of the home to anyone is absurd. And I
think these parenting mag polls are all about throwing gasoline on a burning
fire and are irresponsible. But I think that vast majority of what I have
read in the parenting mags that I have read are crap. Can someone explain to
me why significant portions of a mag named "Parenting" has makeup ads? The
mag is not named "Mothering." There is too much catty bitch festing going on
in the op ed sections of these mags, and the advice is often shallow and
stupid.

Do you think I ought to stop holding back and tell you how I really feel?

How about the single man who 'takes a job' away from a man with two kids?
How about the man with two kids who 'takes a job' away from a man with
four
kids?

Yadda yadda.

Only when it's mothers do we worry about who is 'taking' whose job.

Banty

Right

grandma Rosalie