Old May 19th 04, 08:14 PM
Jill

Default Appetite and breastfeeding

I had zero appetite all through pregnancy...I guess it started off with the
bad morning sickness and weight loss. I am now down 30 pounds from my
starting, just-found-out-I'm-pregnant weight, a week after birth. (I lost 15
lbs in 1st trimester and ended up just gaining about that much back during
the pregnancy and never went over my original weight).

The problem is, and it may be that I am still not back to normal- I do feel
exhausted, sore, etc still....I was starved for the first few days but ever
since my milk came in I have no appetite again. I am forcing myself to eat
regularly- I say force because I am just exhausted and not hungry!) because
I worry about my milk supply...I drink plenty of water and juices. But I
still feel like I might not be eating enough calories in a day. Is there a
minimum number of calories I should be eating during breastfeeding to keep
up my milk?

I am really trying! I am eating MUCH healthier and making the *most* of my
calories but feel like I am just not eating very much....I always though you
should eat the level to almost maintain your weight plus 300-500 extra
calories? I'm 5'2 and still not very active since I am recovering but
usually would be pretty active with jogging etc...I figure I should probably
be eating at least 1800 calories plus an extra 400-500? Or should I just let
my appetite lead the way and just be sure to eat frequent small meals?