Old March 7th 04, 11:58 AM
Chookie

Default CTTD (sort of)

In article , "Deirdre"
wrote:

While I appreciate the need some parents have to park
the little one in front of a video in order to get a few things done around
the house, it always struck me as a slippery slope that leads to the TV
babysitting the child all day.

This happened to a friend of mine. Her 2 children started off just watching
Playschool (a long-running educational programme), and it was so easy for her
to Get Things Done that the time just expanded and expanded. Finally, she bit
the bullet and the TV went on a holiday. She noticed that their play became
far more imaginative than it had been. Now she has 4, and the TV is back, but
under very strict control.

Seems to me that a collaborative approach to doing household work (ie,
involving your children) probably makes the electronic babysitting phenomenon
less likely.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc