Old March 7th 04, 06:13 PM
Melissa

Default CTTD (sort of)

Deirdre" wrote:
While I appreciate the need some parents have to park
the little one in front of a video in order to get a few things done

around
the house, it always struck me as a slippery slope that leads to the TV
babysitting the child all day.

"Chookie" wrote
This happened to a friend of mine. Her 2 children started off just

watching
Playschool (a long-running educational programme), and it was so easy for

her
to Get Things Done that the time just expanded and expanded. Finally, she

bit
the bullet and the TV went on a holiday. She noticed that their play

became
far more imaginative than it had been. Now she has 4, and the TV is back,

but
under very strict control.

In my experience (very limited), I've found this to be true as well. DD
watches no TV during the day and 'helps' me with chores. She wanders around
the kitchen while I do dishes, plays in the bedroom while I make the bed and
plays on her bed while I fold laundry. Other things are left until when DH
is home because it's too labor intensive to do with her or it's something
that I can't stop in the middle if she falls or otherwise needs me.

I've found that the people with the longest naps tend to be the ones who
talk about needing to Get Things Done as an excuse for TV the most. DD naps
1.5 hours a day, total, so I've found ways to do things with her. My neice
naps for 3 hours every day (plus nearly 12 at night) but, at 2 yrs., she
watches 1.5 hrs. of TV each day so her mom can Get Things Done. YMMV
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03