Old June 29th 03, 11:39 AM
Mel Gamble

Default T-shirts

Oh hell ...

"Mel Gamble" wrote in message
When was that, Teach? I know Unemployment Division here in oregun has
access
to (federal?) funds for "displaced worker" re-training, which would

seem
apply in her case and Lecher's, at least now that so many of those
high-tech
jobs are going that way. Has she been in touch with her state's
employment
division lately?

Yes, Mel, she has!! More than 1 time. They say they have nothing for
her--until she has sunk so low she loses the house!! Why the h*ll do I

pay
taxes!! They certainly don't seem to help anyone I know. The employment
people told her that the retraining money was earmarked for getting

people
off of welfare.

Makes no sense. "Displaced workers" are those whose jobs have left the

country
or disappeared through some other government action. NAFTA spawned a lot

of
it. Welfare recipients HAD NO jobs in the first place and wouldn't

qualify for
those funds.

Yeah, I know. I can't figure it out. Maybe she just didn't ask the right
questions. Or maybe the funds were all tied up with other displaced
workers. She was in Silicon Valley.

THEY ran out of those funds 5 years ago....

Mel Gamble

Mel Gamble