Old April 30th 07, 03:31 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

Default weaning or maybe not, how to do it?

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 4:37 pm, "Nikki" wrote:
When I night weaned mine I cut down each feeding until they were just a
few
minutes long. I then started stretching out the time in the middle of
the
night by eliminating feedings until I reached a point that I thought was
reasonable. I did it the same way for the older ones (that co-slept) and
the younger ones that are in their crib. There was more crying with the
younger ones but they were only 10-11mos and they were in the crib.
They
do sleep better now then the older ones though.

Hmmm, am I in for a long crying session at night no matter what I do?

Actually when I night weaned the ones that I co-slept with (using above
method) the crying wasn't all that bad. Luke did not cry for longer then 5
minutes and he was nursing a lot more then 3 times a night when I did the
night weaning (at 18mos). He continued to wake up and ask to nurse, and
whimper about it, for a very long time but no big crying ordeal. One other
tip. I taught them to 'finish up'. I said 'finish up' and gave them a
couple seconds to unlatch and if they didn't, I unlatched them. I did it at
the end of the nursing session until they learned it (which didn't take all
that long) and then I asked them to 'finish up'earlier and earlier. They
would unlatch themselves about 75% of the time. I did that because I
discovered that they were much happier to come off on their own, then if I
unlatched them.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99