Old July 17th 06, 06:21 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default We have reached 1 year!

Anne, do you know whether straws are detrimental to speech development?
Also, if he uses a dummy just to settle to sleep, at this age (13.5
months) is that bad for speech, too? I don't let him have it any other
time - he puts dummy to bed when he gets up. I have had no success with
any dummy other than the pigeon 0-5 months sized dummy, too... supposedly
closest to breastfeeding. I'd love to get rid of it, obviously, but no
chance of sleep if that happens.

sorry, no idea, I know that bottles are supposed to go at age 1 (dental and
speech reasons) and that from a speech point of view it's the sucking in the
no spill cups that is the problem, I'd suspect a straw is fine, because
though it is sucking the pressure you need is massively less (just try it
yourself!)

Anne